2012 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

2012 Volvo S60: Hard To Choose Between T5 or T6

February 01, 2012

volvo_s60_t5b.JPG

James Riswick says to get the S60 T5, the model (like ours) with the turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-5 good for 250 hp. Mike Monticello, on the other hand, would prefer the T6 with its 300-hp, turbo inline-6. It's not an easy decision.

I relate to both statements. James is right; the T5 should be great for most people. But Mike's got a point about it being a bit unrefined. Plus, who wouldn't want 325 hp and 354 lb-ft from the R-Design (or T6 Polestar upgrade)?

One other aspect to consider: the T6 comes with all-wheel drive. There have been a few times recently when I've been accelerating out of a corner in our S60, and its front-drive layout is all too obvious and cheapens the overall experience of the car.

The T6 would solve that. Then again, if I really want a sport sedan, am I going to buy an S60? At that point a BMW 3 Series or Infiniti G would make more sense.

Our S60 T5 charms because it's sporty enough, but also comfortable. Sigh. It's tough. But put me down for the T5.

Brent Romans, Senior Automotive Editor

Leave a Comment

Research Models

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Edmunds Insurance Estimator

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volvo S60 in VA is:

$125 per month*
* Explanation
ADVERTISEMENT