2005 Saab 9-2X Consumer Review: 9-2X happiness

2005 Saab 9-2X - Consumer Review

9-2X happiness
By Svenka Aeroplan AB on

2005 Saab 9-2X Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Everyone wants to know if the 9-2X is worth the price premium over the Subaru Impreza wagon which it is based. It depends on what is important to the owner. GM/Saab definitely overpriced the 9-2X at first, but late summer incentives convinced me to buy. I really wanted a hatchback (3-door), but no automaker seems to want to offer this handy configuration anymore. So the 9-2X gives me two extra doors i will never need for hauling the two of us to the park, skiing, or on a weekend trip. Fuel economy predictably stinks for a car this size, but part of that is due to the desire of the driver to truly exercise the peppy engine and actually utilise the all-wheel-drive. Overall, the 9-2x is superb!

With the manual transmission, one appreciates the responsive engine. (Avoid an automatic with a turbo!) The 9-2X offers a comfortable ride, firm but less harsh than the Impreza. Inside is very good cargo room, perfect for an active couple. Confident handling thanks to low CG and good proportions.

The fuel economy is somewhat disappointing, and I wish that i could turn off the AWD when it's not needed. Saab did a fantastic styling job; wish they'd eliminated all of the Subaru plastic. If the rear cargo floor was just two inches lower I'd fit both our bikes upright inside! Still use a Thule...