2008 Pontiac G8 GT: Not That Great, Actually
August 17, 2009
I know we compliment the Pontiac G8 GT a lot and we're sad to see it go the way of the dinosaurs. But I think we are all so happy to have a GM car that is better than its recent offerings that we cut it way too much slack.
Now, before you jump on me as a domestic basher, keep in mind that I recently wrote a post about all the things I like in the Pontiac G8 GT. Now it's time for counterpoint.
- at stop lights, the car shakes and idles
- when braking, the car shudders. Yes, I know it needs new brake pads and rotors. But why is that OK? Brake pads I can see; rotors already? Not so OK.
- the stereo drives me crazy. Why is there a mute button that doesn't actually mute the audio?
- As Erin mentioned before, the compass is off.
- As Scott wrote, the fuel range is all wonky.
The good outweighs the bad in this 2008 Pontiac G8. But let's not act like it was the second coming of Chief Pontiac.
There were rumors for a while that the G8 was going to become the new Caprice. Well, I learned to drive on a Chevy Caprice and I can tell you it was 200 times better than this car.
OK, have at me.
Donna DeRosa, Managing Editor