by trianglemann on Aug 25, 2013 Vehicle: 2002 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I owned one for 5 years, servicing every 3 months.
In that time:
1. Need to replace cat converter ($1,200).
2. Need to replace IMA ($2,700).
3. Need to replace transmission ($2,200).
4. Need to replace flywheel.
5. Wheels randomly seize up almost causing an accident.
Dealer doesn't know why ($100 diagnostic).
6. Need to replace engine ($3,800).
7. Need to replace transmission ($2,200).
8. Need to replace IMA again ($2,800).
9. Need to replace wiring ($550).
Used/aftermarket parts are hard or impossible to find.
2 of 3 dealers had extremely poor workmanship (I was a mechanic).
Car never lasted more than 3 months w/o something breaking, and every part on it is EXPENSIVE.
† Edmunds.com received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2014 Third-Party Automotive Website Evaluation Study℠. Results based on responses from 3,381 responses, measuring 14 companies and measures third-party automotive website usefulness among new and used vehicle shoppers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed from January 2014. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.