Used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews - 248 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:

Reliable car for the price
By Chad Thompson

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for two years and have put a whopping 40k miles on it. The only problem it has ever gave me was a leaky fuel line which is pretty normal for an 11 year old car and was about an $80 dollar fix. It has always started and has never left me stranded. Gas mileage is very good. It drives incredibly well in the snow and the fog lights are great for bad weather. Another plus is if youre tall (im 6'4) you wont jave an issue unlike other compact cars like my girlfriends corolla. The only issue with the car are cosmetic. The car has a peely clearcoat that is getting increasingly worse and the left headlight is foggy and needs replaced, and lastly the car seems to dent fairly easily. These things can be a eye sore on nice sunny days when everyone kust finished waxing your car and your paint job is not even worth the was so ill have to pay for some fresh paint this spring (about time). Overall though this is a great car for the price for someone like me in school or someone looking to save on gas. Dont believe whay they say about chevys because theyre good little cars amd cheaper than yotas and hondas so that money you saved can go into an $80 fuel line repair and youll still be saving thousands.

2005 POS
By Jay P.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my cobalt 2 1/2 years ago used from a dealer. Everything worked well and seemed like a decent car for me. Fast forward about 45,000 miles and I've put almost 3,500 dollars in it just in the past couple months to keep it on the road. I'm not beating the car to death and probably take better care of it than most. And just this week it seems I have more problems developing, on top of my already deteriorating trasmission and it's problems. I would stay far far away from cobalts. I've had to deal with multiple recalls - due to chevy's incompetence and leading to many people getting in accidents and in some cases, dying. I'm in the process of trying to sell this demon child.

Better than some
By corby weaver

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Clunks under car. Suspension noises at 130k miles. Road noise inside. 33 mpg at 70 mph. Not bad for a basic car. Alarm goes off , heater squeeks,

A very dangerous car
By Cheri

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought the car I loved it. The body looked new, the inside was well maintained and it had great sound from the stereo. One day I went to unlock the driver door with my key fob, it unlocked but the door would not open. The next day I drove it and smelled some wires burning. I took it to Auto Zone and a mechanic there told me to park it before it catch on fire. He said it was a relay problem which is very dangerous. I called JDByrider and they told me to have it towed to them, I did just that. They pretty much told me I was lying about the problem and the only thing they wanted was a car payment. Not we will try and fix it or get you something else. I only had the car for seven months and still had warranty. I gave the car back over a month ago and they still have it and still want a car payment.
Never again will I buy from these people and after doing a research, this 05 cobalt is a very dangerous car. The dealers know it but trying to cover it up.

05 chevy cobalt base model
By Cody chevy everyday

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car off craigslist for 3,000$ from a mechanic and it's been really reliable faster than an 09 Honda civic and the overall quality is great I have a sound system in mine with 10"inch kicker subs and that's all I hear I never hear the outside I bought it with 151,000 miles on it and it now has 166,000 miles on it and I'm a teen so those I would consider hard miles it has exceptional quality and great acceleration for a 4 cylinder I love it and I definitely recommend this car the safety features are good too the guy who sold it originally crashed it once and usually when you crash cars that becomes history for them but the cobalt was still great I hit a lady with it at 20 mph because she slammed her brakes and I didn't get 1 scratch and with my driving I get 23-24 mpg great car chevy did great thank you and I recommend it