2011 Mazda 2: Top 10 Things I Like About It
August 31, 2011
I've spent a lot of time with our Mazda 2 since we got it back in October last year, and I've found myself liking it more as time goes on. Here are 10 reasons why.
1) Fuel Economy. Our car is meeting its combined EPA average of 32 mpg and, outside of the Jetta TDI, is a leading car in our fleet.
2) Easy to park. Its petite size means it's easy to fit in even tight parking spaces. (Yes, this is your golden opportunity to comment given the photo I used above.)
3) Snappy shifter. The Mazda 2 has a really nice shifter. It falls readily to hand, moves quickly from gate to gate and has just the right amount of heft to it.
4) Comfortable. For a subcompact, the 2 rides quite well. The front seats are nice, too, even for long distances.
5) Worry free. This is more of a potential ownership aspect. But there's just less stress driving the 2 than other pricier (M56, for example) or police-attracting (Mustang) cars in our fleet.
6) Quick steering. Along with the shifter, this makes the 2 pretty fun to drive.
7) Simple controls. It doesn't get much more classic or easy-to-use than this.
8) Slow. Yes, sometimes it's actually fun to test your skills with a slow car.
9) Decent interior storage. For a car that lacks a center storage bin, the 2 does pretty well here.
10) Easy to see out of. Compared to many modern sedans with their coupe-like rooflines, it's a revelation to actually be able to see things.
Brent Romans, Senior Automotive Editor