1974 Lamborghini Countach Tops Edmunds' InsideLine's Most Beautiful Cars List
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — February 28, 2012 — The 1974 Lamborghini Countach LP400 is the most beautiful car of all time, according to Edmunds' InsideLine.com, the premier online destination for automotive enthusiasts. The Countach, which InsideLine.com called "the first bedroom wall poster car," tops the list of the "100 Most Beautiful Cars of All Time," which spans almost a full century.
"No matter how old or new they are, these 100 cars still manage to take our breath away," says Edmunds.com Editor in Chief Scott Oldham. "They're not necessarily great cars, but they all demand our attention. These are the vehicles that turn heads, grab hearts and inspire songs."
According to InsideLine.com, the five vehicles that top the list are:
- 1974 Lamborghini Countach LP400: Marcello Gandini's masterpiece, a successor to the Miura, is outrageous in every way. The most visually provocative car of all time was designed with faceted flat surfaces like a diamond. The first bedroom wall poster car, it has defined automotive lust for three generations of auto enthusiasts.
- 1931 Duesenberg Model J Long Wheelbase Coupe: It has a grille that could be a temple, a hood punctured by gracefully curved louvers, and fenders that look like a wave cresting over the tires and an exquisite aluminum roof. It's the ultimate American car.
- 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO: Sergio Scaglietti's voluptuous and brilliant world champion has vents and scoops that only make it seem more serious, while its ducktail rear spoiler inspired hundreds of imitators. It's the GT car all other GT cars want to be. One just sold for $32 million.
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe: The fastback roof is perfectly tapered over ridgeback fenders and flatline wheelwells. The gills in the front fenders are slashes of brilliance, while the (optional) side pipes announce the car's seriousness. Poems could be written about the hood spear alone.
- 1971 Lamborghini Miura SV: The first midengine supercar gave Enzo Ferrari the vapors. Details like lay-flat headlights, intake strakes built into the doors and a roof that finishes in black slats instead of a window are still extreme.
Edmunds' InsideLine.com's full list of the "100 Most Beautiful Cars of All Time" includes a photo gallery featuring every car on the list.
Auto enthusiasts can find all of InsideLine.com's content, including the list of the most beautiful cars, available anytime on mobile devices with Edmunds' Inside Line app for the iPhone and iPad. Download the InsideLine app for free in the iTunes store.
About Edmunds.com, Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/index.html)
Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its acclaimed mobile site, Android App and five-star iPhone and iPad apps make car pricing and other research tools available for car shoppers at dealerships and on the go. Its automotive enthusiast Web site, InsideLine.com, is the most-read car publication of its kind. Its highly regarded mobile site and iPhone app features the wireless Web's most comprehensive gallery of automotive photos and videos. Edmunds.com Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit. Follow Edmunds.com on Twitter@edmunds and fan Edmunds.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/edmunds.