As we sit down to reflect on the bounty of our lives, let us take time this Thanksgiving to be thankful for the new cars and trucks that, through their mere existence, put the automotive world in perspective.
So let us all give thanks for the...
1. 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray — Living proof that a great sports car doesn't need to cost six figures. Or be German. Or Italian. Or even Japanese. And it's a Corvette. Plus everyone knew it would be on this list.
2. 2014 Audi A4 — The car that made it OK to not buy a BMW 3 Series. A tailored sedan that fits into a low-key life of substance and sincerity. Not all of us are worthy of owning this Audi.
3. 2014 Dodge Challenger — Aging gracefully and still chasing horizons. Still makes us want to run off across the desert. The right hand on the steering wheel, the left gripping the roof through the open side window as the nose of the Challenger lifts up as its speed hits triple digits.
4. 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel — A turbodiesel V6 in a half-ton pickup has always been a great idea. Finally, Ram has gone and done it — using an Italian engine. You know: Italian, just like a Ferrari.
5. 2014 Nissan GT-R — The last great Japanese high-performance car. Still setting records and flattening eyeballs. The sort of car you grow up dreaming of owning and are shocked to find is still for sale when you grow up.
6. 2014 Mazda 3 — It's simple, it's straightforward, it works beautifully and it's fun. All things that are getting harder to find. Makes the other Japanese compact car builders look like they don't really have their heart in the game.
7. 2014 Ferrari 458 Italia — It's the current standard: something for every other sports car to shoot at. If it's not the best driving car in the world, it's on everyone's short list. And after actually driving one, those lists get shorter.
8. 2014 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor — The amazingly capable off-road pickup even people who don't like pickups can love. Even Ford is shocked how popular this truck has become. An instant icon of American truck heroism.
9. 2014 Porsche Cayman S — It may be the least popular Porsche, but it's the best Porsche. So hopefully resale values will be terrible and we'll be able to afford one as they drop off lease in a couple of years.
10. 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI — Efficient, useful, economical and sweet. Everything you're supposed to like in a wagon in an... actual wagon! It's what everybody says they want in a car, but not that many actually buy.