Used 2010 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used XC90 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Van to XC90

Tatunka, 03/11/2010

Owned for a few months now and no problems. As noted I would like to see better technology in this car like a modern nav and stereo. The safe and sound warranty is great. All service including oil,brakes rotors, wear and tear etc (except tires) are covered for 5yr/60k 91 octane is recommended but hard to find so I use 93. You can use 87 but I notice a lack of power with the 3.2 engine. Overall, I love this SUV. It is sharp looking and safe. No new design appears in the works until 2012.

good choice in mid size SUV category

hook'em, 03/05/2010

I bought this primarily because I believe, based on an in-depth research, it is the safest SUV around. I looked at the data behind the NHSA and IIHS's ratings in addition to some detailed rollover test results from something called JRS rollover test. I might have taken this safety stuff a little too seriously. However, looking beyond just the readily available ratings (which, in my opinion, would incorrectly indicate that other SUVs are just as safe as the XC90) revealed that Volvo's safety reputation in this case is well deserved. Other pluses: The interior is functional and flexible for our family of 4 (plus grand parents) and to my eyes, this SUV looks better than the others.

Second XC 90

kfrgolf, 11/26/2009

This is the first time in 40 years that I ever got the same exact vehicle that I had been driving. Bravo Volvo - safe , efficient, quiet and has all the amenities

New Buyer

harcherdl, 01/01/2010

We just bought our AWD XC90 and are very happy so far. Reviews of the add ons (like NAV and entertainment packages) helped us decide not to purchase these features. The safety features are unparalleled, especially at this price. If feels like you are driving a real vehicle instead of a plastic toy. Ride is smooth and much quieter than the Durango SLT Plus we traded in. 5 yr wear and tear, 5 yr maintenance, and 5 yr warranty were great bonuses. Costco buyer's program, and the 2009 tax incentives sealed the deal for us.

Nice Car - Couple concerns

lhos315, 11/26/2010

I've had the car about 8 months. I replaced a minivan w/very squeaky brakes. I was disappointed that within a couple months the brakes were already squeaking in this car. I've had it in the shop a couple of times but they have not been able to fix it. The ride is a little stiff as has been mentioned. The V8 is great with a lot of power. I got the nav package and this system is pretty poor. The rt traf is helpful but this system can't find big time retail stores without typing in an exact address. I wouldn't rec buying this nav system. I too have experienced the buzzzz in the speakers which hasn't been fixed. Does anyone know what this is? Overall a good/fun/safe car to drive around

Mold Smell in A/C system & Low Oil Level Warning

vmfromtx, 01/25/2013

I bought my CX90 New and have owned it for over 2 years. My Volvo XC90 has an annoying issue. When I turn on the A/C, for the first 30 seconds, bad mold smell comes, and then I don't smell it. Reported to the dealer on 4 different occassions. They supposedly did everything ehey could, but the problem still persists. Recently, at 58000 miles, suddenly "Low Oil Level" sign came up. When I cheked the dipstick it was below minimum. Dealer supposedly checked it and found no oil leaks and says that they must not have put enough during the previous oil change, and that Volvo does eat some oil between service. I will have to monitor the oil level to see if there is a problem.

just purchased

david, 12/05/2009

After an exhaustive look at a range of cars from the 4 Runner to the Range Rover Sport we settled on the XC90 and I think we got what we expected. An ok vehicle that has an appealing look but it's not flashy, and the interior is nice but creature comfort is lacking. What sold us was the relatively decent price for the number of features and the 5 yrs of free maintenance. We also like the spacious interior and the 3rd row seats are nice to have if needed and space is not compromised, although the 2nd row is a little tighter than some competitors. I'm 6' but could still sit there comfortably. This SUV will be a fill in for a few yrs until something in this $ range gets us excited.

XC90 THE BEST OF THE REST

Judy, 01/10/2010

I have owned a 2004, 2007, and now own a 2010 Volvo XC90. My 2010 is an Executive Model. I did not think that the model could get any better but my latest VOLVO XC90 is spectacular!. The Executive Model's interior is outstanding. I feel like I am sitting in my family room. The handling is "tight" and feels like a sport car within a SUV. The safety features are a plus when insurance premiums are due. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who appreciates quality within a sporty, pleasure to drive, as well as styling that commands head turning! This is a perfect vehicle in my book.

4 Months Driving Experience with XC90

AusTXGK, 03/07/2010

We purchased the Volvo XC90 in November 2009. We replaced a 2004 Ford Expedition in order to downsize and gain a little better fuel economy. Pros: The interior and exterior quality and styling of the vehicle is excellent. The leather seats are the best quality/most comfortable of any vehicle I have owned. The vehicle is exceptionally quiet and drives very smoothly at cruising speeds. Cons: The acceleration of the vehicle is a little jerky from start to about 30 mph. It is very noticeable as the vehicle's automatic transmission shifts gears. I think the 6 cyl standard engine is a little undersized for this vehicle. Also the gas mileage is disappointing at average 20 MPG (17 MPG city).

Nice Ride!

Kat1976, 10/13/2010

I bought this vehicle through the military/diplomatic sales in Bahrain and overall it exceeded my expectations. Dissapointments: the vehicle was delivered to DC/VA almost four/five weeks behind scheduled arrival date with wrong interior color (calcite seats...ouch...), my speakers are making weird bzzzz sound. I installed bluetooth and portable 'Garmin for Volvo' navigation system and I am pleased with both. I especially like the portable navsystem, because you can use it with other vehicles;saves you $ when you rent on vacation. I really like how it handles the bumpy DC/VA roads and that there are no blind spots like in other SUVs. Also, the free service plan on 2010 models is a MAJOR perk!

Worth every penny

jenniferdr, 12/31/2009

After MANY years of wanting this car, we finally took the plunge and I LOVE IT!! I feel so safe in it. I traded in a Yukon and feel that I have gained more storage space since the third row folds flat. LOVE the body style, DON"T EVER CHANGE IT. That was the first thing that made me fall in love with it. LOve the 5 year free maintenance!! Do wish though that for the money, navigation or even blue tooth were standard.

Fantastic SUV

oklahoma29, 02/20/2010

I looked at countless models of SUVs from 2008-2010. I knew from the beginning I wanted a Volvo, but I had to make sure it was the best fit. It definitely was and I love everything about it. The gas mileage is great for an SUV. The interior is awesome with no major blind spots like other SUVs in its class. Plus the price is much better than other luxury SUVs. I purchased a true base model, since the base has leather and sunroof. Those are the two huge features I wanted on my SUV. Even thought it is a V6 it has a lot of power. It gets up and goes. The brakes are also fantastic. Great SUV would purchase again and recommend to a friend.

Just can't win

Andy,Delaware, 07/19/2019
3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Have a 2010 xc90 3.2. Really love the style, comfort and seemed like reliability. Owned it for 6 years. Garage kept. Always pampered, and now the rear differential bearing is wining. 71K miles. Owned lots of cars and never had issues with rear differentials. Except in my Land rover LR2 2010 which was replaced at 36K miles by dealer. The only reason I purchased a land rover is because it is fitted with same drive parts as my volvo. Ford parts, turned out to be a mistake. Can't win.

9 years with Volvo

Kimberly, 03/24/2019
3.2 R-Design 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Overall this was great car. I bought this car a smart single mom/soccer mom car. We traveled and lived in this car everyday. We have rear entertainment, third row seating, heated front row seats and a bench middle seat that all folded flat for carrying snowboards, bikes, camping gear. My least favorite was the middle and third row seats. The middle seats sat STRAIGHT up which is not a normal position and there was no back reclining. Lots of compartments for storage of everything you could think. Now resale, parts and value are very poor. This gentlemen was texting and driving and ran into the Volvo while I was at a complete stop. Insurance is already saying the vehicle will probably be a total loss due to age of vehicle and all of our son and I's Volvo Road living miliage. I do not look forward to the worst case scenario of this vehicle accident. Black Book value for the volvo is around $3-$5 thousand. We all know I will be loosing, becuase find a used car with all that I had within the Volvo for $3-$5 thousand.

great at first NOW IM GETTING RID OF IT!

Penny Johnson, 09/05/2010

We got it we loved it. we ordered it through the military program and got it fully loaded. 2 days after we got it it went to the shop, BLIS was not working properly. when we got it back the mirror was not on all the way and had to go back. our DVD player broke 3 months later and brought it in. we went to pick it up and they told us it had a recall and it couldnt be taken off the lot. I was mad bc we were going on vacation for the next two weeks and had to take our expedition. we went to pick it up and they LOST our headphones! AND it was dirty inside! i asked them if they would clean it and they said we had to pay for it! i will be trading this 6 MONTH OLD CAR

Great so far

Michael, 03/10/2018
3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Great so far!! No issues

Great Value

Poppy, 12/15/2009

Looked at ML350, Q5, MDX, RX350 and X5. This vehicle was head and shoulders above the ML350. Each of the others had its strong points; but my wife chose the XC90 because she liked it best (it had the best overall visibility). We've had it for almost 4 months now and have had absolutely no problems. The fuel mileage is lousy; but competitive with most of the others--14 in town and 21 on the road. It does use regular while the others require premium. The fact that the XC-90 is the least expensive of the bunch is real bonus.

Good Value for the Money

cabotcourt, 02/24/2010

I was apathetic about buying the XC90...too many of them on the road, until I saw the styling of the R-design package...definitely sets itself apart from the pack. The 5 year maintenance/wear and tear program and safety record was what ultimately sold me. Overall, very happy with the vehicle. Just wish it had better gas mileage. A few other minor annoyances like the brake pedal being too close to the gas pedal and the seats seem a bit narrow, but once you get used to these "quirks" they take a back seat to the overall value I think the vehicle offers.

After 2 months

4everyoung, 03/29/2010

Overall one of the better values in the luxury suv market (especially one with 7 seats) and in my opinion one of the better looking suvs' out there even if its an older design.

Good but needs a overhaul

someone!, 07/20/2010

I got this car for my wife and we did the European delivery program which was amazing, I recommend it dearly, I've owned many volvos and this one is the best so far, the only problem I've had with it is the right middle pillar's plastic molding will rattle over jittery bumps and the materials in the interior are not up to date. but one thing if you get the 3.2 you probably will want AWD because it makes it drive much better and without it it's kinda slow

51050