Used 2008 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Perfect truck at the right price
By Costin Harnoncourt

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We got this truck because it looks great, is very comfortable, rates very high in safety and best of all we got $10K of the sticker price. The seats are amazing, room for 7 and lots of trunk space. Great stereo system and power everything. The only problem is poor gas mileage

Stereo and price

Gas mileage

"Volvo for Life" Great Motto
By Lucy Boudet

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd XC90. Came out of a great experience in a 2005 XC90 and couldn't find anything I really wanted better. Tested a Mazda CX9, Mercedes M Class, Subaru Tribeca, Highlander, Lexus RX 350...and on and on. It may not have the fun "zoom-zoom quality of the Mazda, but the Mazda outside mirrors vibrate like crazy...rear seats vibrated...tracks in the floor looked so cheap. Mercedes was nice but didn't like the paddle shifter and it's too small cargo area. Volvo makes the most beautiful, classy looking SUV. Nothing beats the feeling of quality in my XC 90. This new engine drives great. I thought I'd miss the Turbo. Not at all. Great lease deals make it the perfect family vehicle.

Wood steering wheel, exterior styling, beautiful leather comfy seats, outside mirrors that fold in with a push of a button, solid as a tank safety. steering feels great. Third row seats without a minivan feel to the interior

Bluetooth standard. Better radio. Needs a nice refresh of its styling in and out as beautiful as it is.

Way Overpriced
By sdd

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We bought the XC90 after owning a Suburban to get a smaller vehicle, a "luxury" SUV, and for the safety features. The safety features are there, but this SUV is not a sturdy vehicle for active families. The middle console has come out, the doors do not automatically lock/unlock, it rattles, the seats in the back rows are difficult to lay down-just to name a few of our complaints. For the money, we regret we did not purchase the Lexus or the Land Cruiser.

Air bags

Fabric that does not snag on the interior, user friendly seats, hooks to hang clothes on, automatic rear a/c, doors unlock automatically when car put in park, more storage

Best in class
By nicolo

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The CX90 is in a class by itself. I drove the 08 MDX (I've owned two), but the V-6 labors, it's still only a five speed, the ride is harsh, and the wind and road noise are too high. The BMW X-3 is a teetering joke, the X-5 3.0 is underpowered, the 4.4 overpriced, besides which the controls are needlessly quirky, the navigation screen miniscule, and the 'leather' looks and feels like 2nd rate plastic. How do they sell those things? The Volvo leather on my premium is sumptuous, the materials and design are great, and the ride responsive but quiet with no wind noise. In short, It's a great ride. And the lease was the same as the the MDX for a car that stickers for 10k more.

Handling, power, quiet, quality of materials, style and safety, blind spot warning, 6 speed tranny and the great muted growl of that Yamaha 4.4 liter. My '58 P544 had three points belts. Detroit caught up 30 years later, kicking and screaming. Volvo designs safety in.

The factory navigation is so primitive even the Volvo brochure pitches an aftermarket Garmin system, and the premium sound is no great shakes. If you want entertainment buy the MDX. If you want to drive, buy the Volvo.

Not Impressed
By JZ

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I leased this vehicle and I'm glad I leased it and not purchsed! Looking forward to giving it back! The seats are uncomfortable, at least the driver seat is. Blind spots, visiblity isn't the greatest! I owned a Ford Explorer prior to this lease and I plan to go back to the Explorer once this lease is up! I also experience a delay when turning a corner and steping on the gas. It takes a second or two before you actually accelerate!

I like the exterior look.

Better comfort in the seats! Have a key pad on door in case of locking keys inside (a multi-tasking mom tends to lock the keys inside more then once!), a tissue holder in my prior Ford Exporer was nice, also Ford had a pull cover in the back cargo to hide what you had back there. Better visibility!