Used 2008 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Fun to drive and look at
By Stevepei

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was going to buy a Lexus RX350 but told the salesman that I had another appointment at the Volvo dealership that morning. I would most probably come back to close the deal with him after the appointment. After a test drive of Volvo XC90, I changed my mind right away. The car felt smooth, sturdy, and macho, having an excellent road grip at highway curves. I have driven the car for almost 5 months since then and never had a problem with its workmanship. Believe it or not, it is also a head turner on highway. One major complaint I have about the car is gas mileage, so far I have 14.8 m/g. Another complaint is its slow acceleration, but I have learned to live with that.

Jury is still out
By Jury is still out

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The wife and I have been driving the XC90 V8 for a little over a year now. The drive is exceptional and the power is second to none. This vehicle drives like a fine tuned sports car and grips the road like velcro. The vehicle is a real head turner going down the road and at traffic lights. Dynaudio is the best. Navigation is OK, but could be a little better with response times. I have missed a turn or two when driving. I am a bit surprised that some of the interior plastic decor parts (pieces that cover some of the metal have fallen off and the middle console is loosey goosey when you go to store something away. We are leasing and will be turning the vehicle in at the end of 2009

We love the body style, the leather seats and the Dynaudio.

Deliver a hybrid and extend the length. Volvo should make the XC90 a full sized SUV. Understanding this is a V8, but the gas mileage could/should be improved. Volvo should lead with innovation, however I believe they are pretty set in their ways & will not deliver the larger SUV for larger families

Solid SUV
By Fuzzball

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We leased this SUV after 7 leases of Volvo cars before it. We had outgrown any car they make and this is a perfect fit. Lots of room, extra row of seats, (not much room there) and all the emenities needed. The ride is solid, plenty of room for me, (6'2'') amd a son of the same size. The premium sound is great, there is more than enough power to enter the highway safely and easily, braking is solid also. Car looks great, very reliable and lots of room in the back for luggage and whatever you pick up at Home Depot. The leather seats are as comfortable as at home, heat is great, have yet to do a summer with the black leather interior, but we are not concerned.

Premium sound system with 6 CD, love the moon roof and the luxurious feel of the SUV. Feels very untrucklike. Volvo is very agressive in their pricing currently, you can get a great deal if you are patient and know how to negotiate. We got ours for 15k under sticker price, 10k under invoice.

Very large blind spot to right rear due to large posts that make the car so solid. Gas milegae is poor.

2008 XC 90 is Great
By Chief1

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Great car. Enjoy the comfort of the ride. The Sirius radio is a great addition. The SUV lacks armrests for rear passengers. Lack of the armrest is huge disappointment. Lack of armrest made our rear seat passengers uncomfortable. I cannot understand why developers did not include rear seat arm rest for passenger. The styling is great. The car is eye catching. The performance of the front wheel drive is great. Numerous safety features are available.

The back up camera.

The navigation system is not up to par with the Tom Tom or Garmin.

Great value for money
By birdman

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've now driven almost 2200 miles with my XC90 3.2. No mechanical or other problems. The ride is a bit stiff but that does help the handling. Overall, it is an easy to handle car, but one does notice it is big and heavy. The AWD keeps it on the road all the time and it doesn't flip/ flop turning corners as much as other SUV's. But it does a bit the tendency to go straight when turning corners, probably based on it being a primairily FWD based car. The 3.2 is a nice engine, with enough power to handle the car and a full load of passengers and luggage. I can imagine with the weight of the car that the V8 would be a lot nicer to drive, although the mileage will be even worse.

We like all the safety and luxury options, BLIS, rear seat entertainment etc.I also considered the X5 (pretty, but 5 seats and much more expensive) and the Highlander hybrid (really ugly looking) but , the invoice price of the XC90 was average $10,000 less than a Highlander or BMW.

I do advise to take the premium audio. The standard audio is a bit flat and lacks a booster (and satelite radio would be nice too with long trips).