Used 2008 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Rugged Swede
By Douglas Pavlak

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Volvo packs a lot in their packages for much less money than other European manufacturers. The car is rugged. After 10 years, not a speck of rust. The interior is still gorgeous and the stereo terrific. The newer models (we just bought a new XC 90) are even better and obviously more up-to-date. They pack more performance in terms of engine power, handling etc., commensurate with the competition. I still think they give you the biggest bang for the buck (not to mention any German competition by name).

2008 Volvo XC90
By Zack

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought an xc90 because of appearance, tall trunk space, and clearance what modern suvs compromise. The vehicle is ok nothing special. Interior is cheap quality, leather wears easy, and trims fade quick. There is nothing luxurious about this car. Drives fine, for a heavy car the acceleration and fuel economy is poor, gets stuck in snow easily defeats the entire purpose of ground clearance and the transmission has sloppy shifting and when driving on highway does have a few sweats and rattles. Only good thing about the car is safety and cargo space

2008 Volvo XC90 V8s have bad alternators
By ShouldaboughttheBMW

2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

2008 Volvo XC90 V8s have bad alternators. Do not buy unless the alternator has been replaced. Do not buy at all, because there are more reliable, more comfortable and safer and sportier vehicles in the class available for a better price, unless you want to buy mine. This is not a safe vehicle because it loses power at highway speed and will leave you stranded.

Over 40k miles
By 04silverado

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 3.2 AWD with 22k miles when it was two years old.
I have since put about 45k miles on it.
What repairs have I done?
Only one thing that I can think of besides brakes and tires.
An emissions pump.
I consider one repair outside of maintenance in almost 70k miles acceptable.
Because of it's weight if you drive aggressively expect it to eat brakes and tires and gas mileage to be in the teens.

The original Pirellis had to be replaced shortly after I bought it because they were worn out.
I put Sumitomos on it and have yet to replace them with over 40k miles.
I do a pretty even mix of city/highway driving.
I anticipate getting another year (15/20k miles) out of them.

Solid build. Almost everyone who has ridden in it comments about how you can tell by simply closing the door how well it is built. I have yet to find a Japanese or American car with built quality anywhere near the Volvo. Google some of the crash stories Volvo owners have shared. One of the safest cars you can put your children in. Layout shows obvious signs of quality engineering. DVD entertainment system. My son prefers my XC90 over my wife's S40 because there is "tv" to watch. We could drive 1000 miles without a peep out of him if we keeps the DVD's playing.

If there were only some way to have the incredibly strong body and thinner pillars. Anyone who has owned or driven a Volvo knows that it's strength and safety comes at the price of larger blind spots. That being said you learn to look 2-3 times before changing lanes. BLIS should be standard. Turning radius is a little wide.

Was a Volvo Family
By 2xvolvoowner

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We own both the XC90 and S60and have been frustrated with both.
In the XC90 past two years, we have collectively had to repair or replace numerous parts and sensors that seem trivial to have to get fix in such an early life of a vehicle. For example, the ignition switch had to be replaced.
The right and left side of the seat panel had to be replaced because the plastic cracked. The sunroof leaked. This doesn’t cover all the other issues of the S60.
Without exaggeration, this is the most we have ever been inside of a service station. We have written to Volvo to share our concerns and got back a “get lost” attitude. We will never buy another Volvo. Shame on them for their response.

Nice looking vehicle

Better engineering of parts and more concern from the people who run Volvo. We have written several letters to Volvo Management and have received poor responses. Shame on them to lose a double Volvo costumer due to lack of a better response. We will never buy another Volvo.