Used 2006 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

First Year Follow-Up
By flyingman

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a follow up to my first post in Aug 06 when car was new. Just turned 10k miles and one year. Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with the car. Got a recall notice about the gas tank door and they fixed this during a routine service at 7,500 miles, but never suffered the problem. Took one long trip with 5 persons and gear. It was tight but didn't want to put anything on the roof. Added a hitch (not from the dealer!) and a great bike rack from softride. We are still loving the car. Mileage is in the 17-18 in the city and 22-23 hwy.

Still looks and handles great. Plenty enough power for me. It is a classy looking car.

Center console could be a bit more useful, perhaps slightly larger.

Battery died because of software glitch
By kawvt

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car 9 months ago and have had it die 3 times on me. The battery had died because of a software glitch (they think) as described in a technical bulletin Volvo Int. put out. Each time the vehicle has been in my garage and when I went to start it, nothing. I love this car but am so disappointed in the reliability. I also think for a beautiful SUV such as this is, and not a big mammoth SUV, it should get much better gas mileage. Our local dealership has been great but it has been extremely inconvenient to have our brand new Volvo die. I love the way it drives, handles, its comfort, but if I have another problem, I'm inclined to ask Volvo Int. to take the car back.

Size, not too big, not too small, steering wheel.

Better gas mileage, battery that doesn't die on car with 7100 miles and only 9 mos. old!

Is it worth the money?
By Cindy

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I also own this vehicle because of its safety reputation. And of course my children's safety is priceless. However, I've also driven the Honda Pilot and with its amenities, reliability, and 3rd row airbags, can the volvo really be worth over $10K more? If I could do it over I would have bought a Honda Pilot.

Safety, Third row, Sound system, gas mileage (for this size car), Comfort/leather quality, booster

Lower Price! iPod connectivity, heated seats, better designed middle console, auto trunk open

XC90 T6 AWD vs. XC90 V8 AWD
By DENNIS

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2003 XC90 T6 new. Traded it in for a XC90 V8 in 2006. Totally different vehicle. Engine powerful and quiet. No comparison with the T6. T6 noisy, rough running and a gas hog. V8 smooth as silk and much better MPG. Also, the T6 was a five passenger, the V8 a 7. The V8 rides much smoother because of the self leveling rear. All in all a world class vehicle with a top IIHS safety rating. You can spend a lot more money on an SUV and I don't think you can buy a much better vehicle. Dollar for dollar an excellent investment.

Excellent visibility; powerful and responsive V8; smooth quiet ride; killer 6 disc 300+watts 12 speaker surround sound system; top IIHS safety rating.

Side steps to reach roof racks. Full size spare tire. Sun visor extensions.

Ocean Race 2006
By Branko from Slovenia

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The last OCEAN RACE EDITION in Europe. Be happy with this car like I'm. Nice regards from Slovenia. Branko

Turbo security on road when I push the pedal car gooooooooooooooooo

If you look the car from behind you can see under the car some metal parts, some metal wire and this Volvo must cover like other car manuf.