Used 2006 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Volvo converted me to BMW
By Robert Stuart

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Over 1/2 the cars we've owned have been Volvo...This one will change that. This has had constant noise in the form of clunks, squeals and rattles. There is always an error light or message on and we've spent a small fortune on parts. I'm a certified ASE mechanic and do all my own work but this has been a challenge. New rack and pinion, new exhaust, new struts, new springs, new tie rod ends, new radiator, new pulleys and new tires every 15K. This thing cant keep tires or brakes!

The gas mileage is great, the power wonderful but everything else failed. The stereo is substandard and no one will touch it for aftermarket because of Volvos proprietary computers. The mirror trim has fallen off, the light dimmer/turn signal indicator fell off, windows get stuck. In short, this has left my wife stranded more then any vehicle she's owned.

Tried to talk with dealership about issues but they create even more...worst dealer we've ever worked with. Tried to talk with Volvo and they didn't care. You can get a lemon but when the dealer and the manufacture wont help and in fact, exasperate the situation, it tells you it's time to move on. We're shopping for two new vehicles and wouldn't consider owning another Volvo.

We actually bought a 2012 BMW X3. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned. Customer support is off the charts compared to Volvo and the vehicle arnt even in the same league! I'm angry at myself for waiting so long to get rid of Volvo...you really can enjoy your SUV

Excellent Used Car Value
By cjbluedevil06

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my XC90 2.5T in March of 2013 with 74K miles. It is the third Volvo that I have owned and is by far my favorite. I traded in my 2004 S60 to buy the XC90. Many people say that the 2.5T engine is underpowered, but I feel that its 208hp feels peppy and is perfectly matched to the transmission. The handling feels confident and the seats are very comfortable. As far as cargo spaces is concerned, I am pleased.
Fuel economy is decent for a vehicle of its size. I average about 17 in town and 23-24 on the highway. The cabin is quiet and the interior is composed of high quality materials. My vehicle has the optional navigation system, which is nice, but inputting information can be an annoyance.

Update**
It is now three years later and I will say that buying a used XC90 was a great decision. I now have 111K miles on my XC90 and I have been impressed with the reliability of the vehicle. I recently visited the Volvo dealership for regular scheduled maintenance (replacement of the timing belt and drive belt) and spent about $750 for that service. When the dealership completed the maintenance inspection during the visit, they were unable to find anything that needed to be replaced or repaired. They key to buying a used Volvo is to ensure you buy it from a Volvo dealer and research the maintenance history of the vehicle. Aside from buying tires and having oil changes, the most I have spent on the vehicle has been for the timing and drive belt service. I have not had a single issue. It is my hope that I am able to put 200,000 miles on my XC90. Once I am done with this one, I do plan on buying another XC90 or an XC60. When it comes to safety, reliability, and quality, I find it hard to beat. It is an excellent road trip vehicle and is the perfect size to accommodate passengers and cargo. I do wish the fuel economy was a little better, but I do have to keep in mind that for a 2006, it falls in the more fuel efficient range of most SUV's for that time. As a final note, if you are looking for a used XC90 for whatever reason, it is best to stay away from the T6 (2.9 liter I-6 cylinder turbo engine) variants made from 2003-2005 and the V8 engines. The 2.5T's (I-5 cylinder turbo engines) were discontinued in 2006 and did not suffer from the transmission issues of the T6 and V8 engines. The years 2007+ models with the 3.2 I-6 cylinder engines are also very reliable. I mentioned this in my review a three years ago, but it bears repeating since I can't stress it enough :-)

DON'T buy a Volvo
By teddym

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

My XC-90 is horrible, front to back.
Friends don’t let friends buy volvo’s. Treatment from the volvo dealerships in Houston is horrible, unless you are super rich, they will certainly hook you up, otherwise, bring your checkbook.
You pay out the nose to own a volvo. My xc-90? 3 sets of wheel bearings burned out, the rear end went out, the fuel pump has already been replaced, the CURRENT check engine light issue will cost me $1,000, just put $1,500 into it to get the steering column to work again, the Houston dealership seriously jacked me over. you HAVE to take it to the dealership. They know they've got you by the throat. OBTW, my windshield leaks. Headlights fogged from inside. $500 each

nothing, the worst auto mistake I've ever made. I'll never buy volvo again and I'll do anything to keep anybody else from making the same mistake. $43,000 bought me a POS.

Volvo should buy back all xc-90's.

Would never ever recommend or purchase again!
By lassiterlisa

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a used 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 a year ago, had 77K miles on it, but was in excellent condition and we thought very safe for our family.
We didn't know it had a transmission that COULD NOT be repaired ONLY REPLACED.

The Volvo dealership informed us that this particular transmission was not repairable.
Unfortunately our warranty company wouldn't ok the replacement so we had to transfer the car to a transmission repair facility to try and rebuild it.
They were able to get all the parts needed but 1 and Volvo wouldn't sell the 1 part that would fix our car.
SO we had to purchase a USED transmission for $5,700.00 (new would have been $7,500).

Booster seat in the back.

Not happy with my XC90's we have 2!!
By spottvmom

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this car for almost 6 years.
It's had a few minor annoying problems that were mostly covered under the warrenty until it hit 80K

The warrenty is now up and it's been a royal pain.
I have an AWD 6 cyl. turbo that has 90,000 miles on it.
This is my 2nd Volvo and we currently own 2 XC90's so we have double the pain....

Issues have been the anti skid sensor- $700 plus to fix, burns through tires in about 30k miles with easy, gentle driving.
New issue is my wheel bearings are shot.
My husband has a 2005 what we just spent about $3,000 on new tie rods, new bearings, new e-brake, new oil pump, leaking in oil system and after all that his check engine light is on again!

It's been great to drive but it's so expensive to fix. We have taken really good care of this car. It's been to Volvo for all sch. service. I'm starting to feel like both cars have turned into money pits. My husband's Ford Sport trac had so many less issues at 9 years old and 100,000+ than our 2 XC 90's. It's a solid car and we feel very safe but it's getting to expensive to keep fixing it every 2 months! I'm about to trade them both in and go back to driving Ford's! At least my Ford's didn't keep breaking every few months. This seems excessive for the young age/miles on our cars- 88k and 90K for 2005 and 2006 AWD XC 90's. Next worry is the Transmission-I'm told those go 70-95K

I liked the car while it was under warrenty. It's very expensive to fix. A longer warrenty that covers more standard service like BMW. It would be better if it was not so hard on tires. 3rd row could be have more leg room. Easier cupholders for kids to reach in back seat.