Used 2005 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Won't buy another one
By Nathan

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first review of a car. We have owned the car for 2.5 years and 40,000 miles. We love the looks, size and comfort of the car. But we have had so many little issues it drives me crazy. Here is what we have fixed to date. Brakes all around, broken window switches, twice. fog light buttons were pushed in somehow, driver and passenger seat plastic trim, engine ventilation hose, headlight plastic hazed, engine torque mount, and the driver seat leather is incredibly worn and the steering wheel and shift boot leather is starting to flake. The center console wood is now faded. This for a car that is always garaged and we live in non sunny Oregon!

Looks, drop down tailgate, built in child seat, snow driving capability, seat comfort is top notch

fuel mileage, build quality for non mechanical parts is terrible, better performance

Worst Vehicle I've EVER Owned
By Sarah

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is BY FAR the worst vehicle I've ever owned. The Saturn Vue I had before buying this was more reliable! Unfortunately for me, I was so dazzled by this "Luxury" SUV that I didn't do enough research. I put MORE THAN $12K worth of work in less than 6 months, the last of which was $7,000 for a new transmission that, unbeknownst to me is a HUGE issue with this year, make & model. Volvo is conveniently refusing to acknowledge any of the innumerable consumer complaints- offer any sort of resolve or recall. Trust me I've tried- (I've contacted the Sales Managers of every dealership in the state, and put in a complaint with Headquarters in Sweden) no one cares.

Very Aesthetically Appealing! This vehicle is beautiful inside and out! But beauty is fleeting! This Volvo is the absolute definition of "HOT MESS" :(

Keep the body, make reliable parts.

absolute letdown
By rayray

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Misery! Volvo forgot reliability is part of "safety." Where do I start with the 2005 V8 AWD "top of the line" for that year. First big problem: AC put out only HOT. Then the shifter/key start up had problems. Yearly, windows always need calibration as they would roll down by themselves. Then an ABS control failed and I could not start the car. After the pitiful 4yr/50k warranty ran out (car paid in full of course) the transmission failed after 70,000 miles, cost $6500 to fix, then there was the engine leak that after 4 months of diagnosing turned out to be a leaky engine BLOCK, so I needed a new engine after 80,000 miles. Dont get me started on the electrical system. Worse vehicle ever!

3rd row seats. Individual earphone jacks.

DVD system cannot be operated by driver. Navigation system is primitive. No factory bluetooth or iPod connector. To attach factory trailer hitch they had to cut away the bottom of the rear bumper. Running boards should be standard.

First and LAST! DO NOT BUY
By Sarah McCarthy

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this vehicle and within 60 days these were replaced: blower motor, locking mechanism on fuel door, entire rear differential, front rotars and Brakes, latches on 3rd row seats, 2 wheel bearings, and 4 new tires. I am very sad because I LOVED how it looked and felt- but it literally is falling apart underneath me. I will never purchase another Volvo XC90 and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Sunroof, 6 CD changer, 3rd row seats, leather, rear hatch

a mechanically more reliable vehicle- come on! they're absolutley ruining the VOLVO name!

Good buy, but not a flawless car
By gilles bourdier

2005 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Car is a 2005.Roomy and comfortable. Has not let us down so far ( at 55000km). It looks good and not too big. Still manoeuvrable in town, despite a high turning radius. Parts and tires are durable. Fuel economy is very good on the open road and highway (12/13 l/100), much worse in town (18/20 l/100) HOWEVER, car is hefty and ponderous, taking away any driving pleasure. Steering wheel too low, even when adjusted, sunroof lets in way too much wind noise. Leather quality of seats poor. Engine feels suprisingly strained and whining under effort. Exhaust sound is a letdown. Sounds like a German V6, not a V8. Disturbing loud clunks and thumps over road bumps. Good, but not flawless

Versatility and inside comfort. Adequate performence

Quieter sunroof, smoother ride, torquier and better sounding engine