Used 2005 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

On the 4th transmission! Terrible car
By Ericg

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought the car certified pre-owned, THANK GOD. I'm on the 4th transmission - I'm an easy, family driver, this car is terrible from a mechanical standpoint. I've had the front axle replaced, seats breaking after small kids sit on them, emergency brake problems, fuel door breaking, etc., etc. I like the car, but the mechanical problems are simply unacceptable for a car in this price range.......and clearly Volvo/the dealership doesn't care about transmission issues since they are replacing it for the 4th time ON THEIR NICKEL - they said each was a new trans...yeah... Gas mileage is bad, also. All considered, I regret buying this car. My advise is to stay clear, if not, please buy mine!

I'm too irritated to point any out. For the price you pay, it should have nice features.

Transmission, dealer service, transmission,axles, seat control panel construction,transmission, fuel door, emergency brake, transmission

XC90 After Chrismas Volvo
By Harry

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased the XC90 December 26, 2004 at the same time gas prices hit $2 a gallon in Las Vegas. My Ford got 13 MPG and I saw the cost only going up. I returned from Phoenix today (9/12/10) and averaged 23.7 MPG with the 2.5 T FWD. It has been a trouble free purchase with the original Michelin tires still on the vichele.

Leg and Head room-I am 6 ft 7 inches tall and can wear my hat inside the cabin.

Go green with a hybrid; if the 2012/2015 model got 30 mpg I would buy another one.

Good Family Car
By JJ

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The car has served my family well since we bought it new. We avoided the T6 after reading the transmission horror stories. Engine is sufficient for most situations, but lacks power for highway passing. It drives and handles like a car. Gas mileage is average (16/22 mpg). Good looks outside and a very functional interior. Good cargo space with 3rd row folded down. 3rd row isn't useful and cuts 2nd row leg room. Seats are very comfortable for long trips. Dealer maintenance isn't cheap after the first 3 years which were free. Had a couple of unexpected repairs after warranty ($1,200 total). Not as reliable as a Honda, but not as bad as a BMW/MB. I'd consider buying the next generation XC90.

Exterior styling still looks good after 6 years. Just the right dimensions for a mid size SUV. Well thought out interior. Excellent seats. Engine has strong torque. Drives, brakes & handles like a sedan. Firm yet comfortable ride. Cargo room. Solid feel. High speed stability.

More HP for passing on highway. Better longevity on tires/brakes. On the 3rd set of Michelins and front pads (2nd set of rotors). Easier to get into 3rd row. Sunglasses holder & compass. Better electrical reliability. Better leather on the seats. A better nav. Less interior rattles at 60K miles.

Won't buy another one
By Nathan

2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first review of a car. We have owned the car for 2.5 years and 40,000 miles. We love the looks, size and comfort of the car. But we have had so many little issues it drives me crazy. Here is what we have fixed to date. Brakes all around, broken window switches, twice. fog light buttons were pushed in somehow, driver and passenger seat plastic trim, engine ventilation hose, headlight plastic hazed, engine torque mount, and the driver seat leather is incredibly worn and the steering wheel and shift boot leather is starting to flake. The center console wood is now faded. This for a car that is always garaged and we live in non sunny Oregon!

Looks, drop down tailgate, built in child seat, snow driving capability, seat comfort is top notch

fuel mileage, build quality for non mechanical parts is terrible, better performance

Worst Vehicle I've EVER Owned
By Sarah

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is BY FAR the worst vehicle I've ever owned. The Saturn Vue I had before buying this was more reliable! Unfortunately for me, I was so dazzled by this "Luxury" SUV that I didn't do enough research. I put MORE THAN $12K worth of work in less than 6 months, the last of which was $7,000 for a new transmission that, unbeknownst to me is a HUGE issue with this year, make & model. Volvo is conveniently refusing to acknowledge any of the innumerable consumer complaints- offer any sort of resolve or recall. Trust me I've tried- (I've contacted the Sales Managers of every dealership in the state, and put in a complaint with Headquarters in Sweden) no one cares.

Very Aesthetically Appealing! This vehicle is beautiful inside and out! But beauty is fleeting! This Volvo is the absolute definition of "HOT MESS" :(

Keep the body, make reliable parts.