Used 2005 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Availability of parts
By sportette

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my XC 90 used, 29,000 miles on it.
I hit a deer December 26th.
It is now May 9th and I am still waiting for parts that the dealership says are on order.
I do have the car because the missing parts do not affect the drivability.
I still find this amount of time excessive.
I do love the car and have always wanted a Volvo.
I have had electrical issues with the radio changing stations by itself,
doors locking by themselves or not wanting to unlock.
I have not been able to figure out how to program the visor buttons to open our garage door.
I cannot find the section that covers this in my owner's manual.
I am also disappointed in the gas mileage.

I really like the integrated booster seat and comfortable ride. The sound system is wonderful and the jacks between the 2nd and 3rd row seats are great for the grandkids.

The owner's manual is not real easy to use. I couldn't find how to properly fold the seats down or how to program my garage door opener to the car.

I Will Miss It
By volvo4life2

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After proudly owning a 2005 for 3 years and 35,000 miles, I will be switching over to a 2006 S60. After living in a large city for about a year now, I can no longer handle the 12 mpg that the V8 provided me in the city, and the parking. BUT don't get me wrong

I drove my car from 67,000 to 96,000 miles. I loved every second of it. It was the SAFEST car on the road. If you don't believe me, check out the Volvo Saved my life club. I am slightly worried that the S60 won't be as safe. I had the Navigation System, TV's and Parking sensors. Never used the TV's but the nav system and parking sensors daily. Two more things I will be without, sadly

TV's, Navigation, Looks, Power, Comfort, Visibility, Feel of the road, Seats. I recommend this car to anyone. I am a 20 year old single male, and I loved it.

GAS MILAGE. The end. (In the CITY I was getting 12-13, highway was really good though!)

V8 Engine Is Prone to Catastrophic Failure
By jdcarcollector

2005 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Last week, our 2005 Volvo XC90 V8 'died' in an intersection.

The dealer explained the engine had a 'catastrophic failure' and was "dead".
I was told the battery was dead and there is no compression -- air blew through the engine.
I asked how this could possibly have happened to a car that has undergone every Volvo dealer service, including one just 45 days ago.

The dealer was courteous but explained the car required a new engine which costs $15,000.

Google "Volvo Yamaha V8 Failure" and you'll come across numerous people discussing catastrophic failures thanks to the timing chain breaking.
Volvo has not undertaken a recall.

I love the way my well-maintained Volvo "died" just 45 days after I had full service plus four new tires. My three children under 10 years old (incl. one with special needs) and spouse were left out in the cold by a gas station whle a flatbed truck removed the car. Beyond that, we were always please with the car it handled reasonably well, had good acceleration before the engine failed, and the car was practical for a family of 4-5 people.

Volvo should make this right for customers -- it is terrible that there are numerous customers with XC90 V8 models with 60,000-85,000 miles that have it just up and die one day. It is extremely clear to me that Volvo is aware of this issue -- in fact our dealer insinuated you were aware -- and yet you have not recalled. I purchased a Volvo because of your safety/quality record but I could never recommend another because of this terrible outcome. I am fortunate that this is not a financial burden for me, but it upsets me most to think that a family could be dealt a severe financial blow as a result of your poor engineering. Shame on you Volvo.

Worste SUV in the market
By vito9

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have never in my life experienced such a disastrous SUV. It is not reliable at all and the slogan "Volvo for life" is crap and does not mean anything for me as a T6 owner.
I dont know where to start. New transmission at 80k, new steering rack a bit later, new hatch lock, tie rods, stabilizer links, ball bearings, joints, new breaks after 30k, leaking coolant, defective coolant lines and tubes, leaking windshield washer (broken tubes).
This SUV is crap. NEVER, NEVER buy a volvo again! I had one before but this is the last time i am walking into the Volvo dealership to buy anything.
I dont really like Japanese cars but the truth is that they are reliable!

NOTHING! Its a crappy SUV! Never buy it.

I would recommend to Volvo to either live up to their slogan Volvo for life or stop stealing people's money by selling crappy vehicles. It cost me $20,000 in repairs in one year.

My Big Mistake! Take our advice!
By crawfojj

2005 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Yeah, so I got married and thought about getting into a family style vehicle. But, I wanted something with a little spunk to it. I opted for a used 2004 Volvo XC90 T6. Yikes! Bad call on that!
I owned it for 6 months...and although I didn't have to take it to the shop at all it wasn't fun in the least bit. It had good size and visability and I def felt safe...but that's it. Gas mileage was HORRIBLE! And it ain't cheap considering you have to use premium!
My seats ripped and the sunroof leaked anytime it rained and/or took it through the carwash. Also, it approached the 70k mile mark and I noticed my transmission slipping. Time to get out and cut my loses.

Ummmm...can't think of any.

I thought for a $50k original car that it would have quality...not impressed. Volvo Cars is going the way of Saturn...bye bye. Get a VW instead.