Used 2004 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 380 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Never again will I buy a Volvo! Hate it!
By DomandKim

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I hate this car! Bought new, all options but the GPS, over $50K. At 200 miles needed a new fuel tank, original was cracked. Here's what went wrong: Xenon headlight fogged replaced, almost killed myself because they were pointing down, night visibility after reinstall of the new ones was 10 feet! Then the tail lights leaked filled with water, replaced, power steering unit, replaced, computer replaced, fuel tank door fell off 2X's, windshield wipers broke, CD player and back-up signal beeper stopped working, brakes after 20K miles, tires every 22K miles, water filled the roof, wanted $900 to remove interior to let it "dry out"! Suspension bushings needed replacement, & on & on. I HATE IT!

Looks, ride, quietness, other than that, it's a piece of you know what, highly overrated. Volvo should be totally embarrassed. I see others who own them and think, what a sap like me. Has zero interior storage, find a place for your cell phone and then you Wonder what to do with your sunglasses!

Drive a Honda and Nissan you amateur Volvo engineers and take notes, (what a bunch of dummies). Never again! I could kick myself!

Bring your checkbook
By letsrole

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used with 107,000 miles. I should have checked Edmunds reviews 1st. At 117,000 miles, just like previous reviews - transmission problems. Cost for replacement, $6,000 and only a one year warranty.

Overall, when it doesn't need repairs, it is a nice vehicle.

Make a more reliable vehicle like Honda and Nissan

big bomb
By suz

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Do not buy this car, 2004 and 2005 xc90's are known for their transmission problems. Guess what? Volvo of America does not care. $6,700 later, now upside down. Owned the car 7 month. A piece of crap. There are class action suits being established in Conn. and in NYC. Avoid this SUV

sun roof, heated seats

Reliable transmissions/ cheaper parts, no 250.00 oil changes are necessary

I Roll, Volvo
By Volvo Pride

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My 04, XC90 is a tank; in a good way. Handles great in the snow and any wet weather and most assuredly can tear up the pavement. The third row seating could use more room, but after all it is a midsized suv. This is my 5th Volvo and 7th in two generations. I have 167,765 miles on my vehicle with the original transmission and turbos. Tires have come and gone, but the brakes have only been replaced once. As far as cost of upkeep...I bought a Volvo. No one who buys a Benz complains about price.

Sturdy stance and nibble maneuverability. All rear seating folds flat to accommodate many different storage needs. The styling our classes most other SUV in it's category. Acceleration and inclimate weather handling aide confidence when behind the wheel. Safety, safety, safety.

Now that Ford is bowing out hopefully Geely can bring Volvo back to the top and change some minds. Best advice for the new ownership/management don't cut corners, roll out the hybrid technology and bring an all electric Volvo to the market ASAP. Volvo needs better fuel efficiency and less shop visit

No idea of the troubles...
By C.TAYLOR

2004 Volvo XC90 SUV T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've bought my 04 XC90 believing the car was reliable. Later to find out the first month I had it the transmission light appear. the transmission had to be replaced a long with the radiator and later the radio had to be replace as well next the driver side window track had to be replaced then the doors would open while driving on it's own while locked. A few months later the steering wheel became loose, it cost me ninty dollars to have it tighten. The transmission I can some what understand because it was made by GM. I thought I bought a car without an American part. Unfortunately not so. This will haunt me for the life of this car. The brakes and tires well it's a heavy car big deal!

The over all looks the power. The ability to handle well even in the snow. The room the comfort. She's a beautiful car none the less.

Work out the kinks. especially the transmission situation. Except someone have made a big mistake and handle their business.