Used 2004 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 381 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Best SUV Ever
By samanthalouise

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Absolutely love this SUV. Best vehicle I have ever own, hands down. Safe. Reliable. Kid friendly. Just all sound great SUV.

Best car I have ever owned
By pj8

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never had a better experience with a car. I have owned a Honda, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Toyota, and this Volvo has by far been the best car out of all my experiences. I have over 130,000 miles on it and it runs like it is new. I have never kept a car this long, but I never want to get rid of it! I have taken really good care of this car and kept up all the maintenance, so maybe if you don't that's where the problems come in that other people are having.

Overall, I give this car 5 stars. It's a safe and luxurious SUV. If you are looking for a cheap car, this is not it. SUV's tend to burn brakes and tires more than little cars, but I haven't found that the Volvo maintenance is any higher than my BMW SUV though. I think the expensive maintenance comes with the SUV tag not the Volvo tag. I am more than willing to spend a couple hundred more dollars a year to have a fun luxury vehicle that keeps my family alive!

The worst car I've ever had
By universaltaste

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have a 2004 Volvo XC90 that required our transmission replace 22 months ago with a 4K bill attached to it, then just last week had to have it towed in again.
The first time we did not have our vehicle for 3 weeks, and now again one week has passed already.
They claim fluid leaked causing severe damage to the car and now the transmission not only needs to be replaced again, but also the radiator, axle shaft, oil cooler, oil line and a host of others to the tune of $7331.90.
The car currently has 122K miles, and the last time the transmission was replaced is was well under 100K miles.

The dealer has even told me over the phone this fluid leaking a “known problem

STAY AWAY, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

2004 Volvo XC90 Transmission Issues
By FIOSWA

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have an 04 Volvo XC90 and had the bad experience of the Transmission Service Urgent light coming on and the vehicle putting itself into "limp mode" to stop further damage. Of all the blogs I read after this happened, most of them had negative outcomes as far as support from Volvo. I had a great experience and wanted to share that Volvo covered 100% of my damages. I am getting a new transmission, new radiator and new lines installed. I called Volvo's customer service line. I was assigned a customer care rep that was extremely pleasant and helpful. She worked with the Volvo dealer and I had a response in 2 hours of the 100% coverage including the diagnostic fee. Volvo: 1-800-458-1552

Love my car, so happy it will be fixed and running well again. It had 85k miles on it and the extended warranty had expired 4 months prior to the transmission failure. If you have a bad tranny you also need new lines and a new radiator because the trans fluid has been leaking into the radiator.

The Volvo dealer stated it was the 04 and 05 tranny's that were bad. They have since fixed the issue and are willing to look at each case of bad transmissions to see if they are willing to provide "goodwill assistance", which they did for me. Otherwise it would have been over $8k in damages. Than

Good Car
By Jackchez

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have the 2.5L turbo. It has been very good with only minor repairs. Tires and front brakes at 45000 miles. I dont know why others say tires every 22000 miles. A pleasure to drive and will keep it for another 10 years!

Good mileage. HWY 25+MPG