Used 2004 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 381 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Ticking Time Bomb!!
By dnll360

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my xc90 used and the problems didn't start til about 85k miles. Then I started having to replace wheel bearings, control arms, and ball joints. Then my car hit 100k miles and literally as soon as the odometer rolled over, my driver side headlight went out due to an electrical issue, then the alternator went, battery needed replaced, serpintine belt, timing belt, tempeture gauge housing, crank shaft assembly, and now at 101k miles on my way to look for a new car, my car starts smoking and my turbo blew which on the t6 is a twin turbo. I have been towed 3x in 3 weeks and everytime I go to get rid of it something else goes. I am having it junked and taking a loss on what I still owe.

cheap quality product needs drastic improvement

I WANT TO CRY!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME !!!!
By xc90w

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

VOLVO YOU HAVE SOLD A LEMON TO YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND THAT WILL CAUSE YOU TO SUFFER GREATLY. This 2004 Volvo xc90 has been a nightmare for me. I spent over $2600 dollars this summer and it continues to add on up.
my dash board turns off and i lose power to the rear of the vehicle. This makes this AWD car become FWD!! doesnt make sense but its true and i cant even open my gas door and i have to open it manually from inside. THIS IS THE WORST CAR!! Yesterday the tail light on the passenger went out and some of my front right lights too. "multiple bulbs failure" today i start it and they are all working. WHY do this to your customer VOLVO! VOLVO IS LIFELESS!!!

Nothing!!! There is so many things wrong with this car that i cant even start to pick out my favorite features !! LEMON all around !!!

Bi-Xenon headlights.. I cant stand the fact that they only rise up because its WORTHLESS!! esp going down a hill. They just go down even more. Also the the plastic caps to everything .. my rear wiper roof rack rims and everything just like to come off in the car wash.. Maybe build them a little tougher.. things are not cheap to replace.

First Volvo and Last Volvo
By cycle_art

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because I was told Volvos' last a long time. They are not too expensive to repair as compared to other high-end car makers. I bought this car 2.5 years ago and have had problems from the beginning. First it was interior issues like the tweeter falling off the door, the front driver's seat pulling apart at the seams and the console lights going out. I bought an extended warranty and thank glad I did. This year $5,000 in repair bills for an axle, universal joint, CV joint, tie-rods, brake calipers and right now a Pcv breather case. The warranty doesn't cover this. The service manager told me I should not pay attention to the manual and change the oil every 3000k.

It's very comfortable.

4th Set of Tires with just 83,00 miles
By doglady2

2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my SUV since the end of 2004. I have just gone through my fourth set of tires at 83,000 miles. Volvo Customer Service takes zero responsibility for this obvious problem. They blamed it on the three tire manufacturers. Also, it is a very expensive car to repair and maintain. At 78,000 miles I replaced 5 ignition coils for a total of $345.00 in just parts no labor, Upper engine mount repair for $579.00. At 75,000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump, Idler pully, timing bel,t tentioner, brake vac switch, etc.
Even in the beginning I had to replace the brakes and front rotors at 22,000 miles. Think twice

Roominess of the back with the third row down.

Tires

Huge Transmission Problems
By dancingbear3

2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

We loved our 2004 T6 until yesterday when we had to be towed from Lake Tahoe to a Sacramento Volvo Dealer ( 109 miles ). Two different dealers told me this model has a huge transmission problem. There is talk of a law suit on the discussion board as so many owners have had problems. To be fair, some of the owners got full replacement including trnsmission, lines and radiator (around $7000 n). We'll see how it goes ...

Safety features. Quite and fun to drive.

More leg room in back seats.