Used 2003 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Gas Guzzler and Computer Problems
By alex

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought this used/certified car with only 20,000 miles. After 1 1/2 months, the system computer breaks down with a message that the braking system and SRS had conked out. Had the car towed to dealership. Service people said it's a minor computer glitch. OK. Guess what, same problem happened again 8 times for the next 18 months, everytime had the car towed and all the inconveniences. Had the car for only 18 months and have already replaced tires, steering rod and lots of other things. Had it serviced for 30,000 miles and cost was $1,100. Overall city mileage was 11 mpg, highway about 16. With premium gas prices at $3.30/gal, this car is more expensive than sending a child to college.

Styling. Sound system.

Gas mileage. Definitely not buying another Volvo XC90.

First Year XC90...Gremlins
By hpark

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the T6 as a certified used car from a local dealership in 2004 with 24K on it...thank goodness for warranty as this vehicle was in the shop too often..during our first year of ownership approx 4 visits and about 1.5 months of non-use as they finally determined the engine block was cracked which caused a perpetual coolant bleed into the cylinders...plus since then sunroof drain blockage caused water to leak into the vehicle and soak all of the electrical in front. Tires burn through in about 20k miles and a window switch that sank into the door panel. Guess this is part of the First year gremlins that came out...long story short...I think the Japanese earned their quality reputation.

ROCK solid, vault like construction,,,,total peace of mind. Great styling and third comes in handy

Gas mileage....poor...only 13.1mpg...primarily local with regular gas..maybe if the AWD could be turned on an off (like the murano) that would help. Better reliability....these cars should be driven.not locked up in the shop.

XC90 Never Again!
By volvofrom englewd

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned many cars, never one like this. I am at the service bay at least twice a month-sometimes more. I have replaced just about everything in my XC90. At 80,000 miles expect to purchase a new transmission. I have already replaced my manifold, radiator- twice, brakes (twice a year) and tires annually (thanks to the awd-at least that's what i've been told). The only thing I haven't replaced is the steering wheel- at least not yet! And my T6 is dangerously slow!

I do appreciate my navigation system.

I wave my white flag. I give up on this car. I surrender my wallet to this gas guzzling slow and not reliable car. Lease this one and purchase at your own risk.

15 + Years A Volvo Owner - No More !!
By Stephen J. Lalor

2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T Fwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Was true Volvo believer here for over 15 years but no more! I have always loved this brand and believed in but the XC 90 is the most unreliable, high maintenance auto I have ever owned. 60 k miles now, and am in need of (4th set of 4 tires)and front-end ball joints; heating and air conditioning system has never worked correctly (and they can't figure it out), passenger side front window has broken at least 4 times; wind shield wiper blades fly off car.... shall I continue? I just purchased a different brand SUV even though I have 3 months to go on my Volvo-KLUNKER lease! 2007 Buyers - beware and consider alternative, less expensive SUVs unless you enjoy visiting dealer service facilities.

Seats are comfortable

Better warranty coverage.

Frequent Service
By Sad volvo owner

2003 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Second volvo to own. Other was turbo S80. Both required frequent servicing. The S80 become costly after the warranty period. I was happy that I did not purchase the extended warranty because most of the problems were not covered or I used up the time before reaching the mileage. We are now located in Houston and recently their service is not user friendly. At least in St. Louis, the service was user friendly. Frequent service but user friendly. Service problems in this XC90 included the transmission needing replacement, the Turbo needing service and then multiple small electronic issues. I guess the Swedes haven't mastered computers yet. With only 28K, looking for a new vehicle!

Close comfortable seating.

POOR gas mileage. 13 in the city, 17 on the highway. With only a 19 gallon tank, we fill up every 200 miles.