Used 2004 Volvo XC70 Base Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo XC70

Base 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic - (77 reviews )

AWD Letdown
By 2004 XC Owner

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Been a great car for commuting; awesomely comfortable. AWD power to rear wheels failed and no warning to alert driver. Discovered when son observed rear wheels not spining on icy driveway. Discovered after warranty expired; $2600 repair cost & 3+ wks @ dealer waiting for parts. All the while we've had 3 snowstorms in that time, which is one of the reasons I bought AWD. Not a happy camper. We've been Volvo family for long time (3 V-series in household now); not sure I'll buy another. BTW, Volvo isn't only mfr w/AWD problems - do internet search on "AWD problems"

Very comfortable ride on long highway roadtrips; you could drive forever with those seats! Tracks very true on highway. Cargo area storage for groceries is handy. Plenty of power.

Interior storage is awkward. Provide electronic warning when AWD fails. OEM Pirelli tires have not so great treadlife; offer alternatives.

Electrical problems frequent
By Rossthewrench

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this wagon used, it was always serviced by Volvo, and highway driven by female doctor. The condition was showroom. One week after purchasing, the information centre packed it in. Dealer said it was out of warranty. Cost to replace roughly 1200. So we said to forget it. Next month the instrument panel shut down, no guages at all, no speedometer either. Had the local garage change battery. Was OK, now it is back again. Nothing on instrument panel again. Now we just guess how fast we are going, fill the gas tank often, and hope we are right. Oh, the airbag info light came on just after we got it, neighbour Volvo same problem No warranty. Mechanically is good car,electrics terrible.

All wheel drive great. Engine oil always golden. Quiet on road, handles well. Good appearance. Brakes will put you out the window! Bravo!

Get someone to design an elecrical system that can last longer than 100,000 miles.

Bought 2 will buy more
By Volvo almost lost me

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had to dump my 2000 XC because of continuing problems. I almost didn't buy another but my wife wanted to try a new model. I bought a 2004 with 18000 miles. I have to admit. huge change. Good engine power, seats, and lots of room. I have had zero problems with the 2004 and Volvo has kept me around for a few more years. Great in the snow and rain. I actually had to save a friend that got stuck in his Tahoe. Mine just rolled right thru 5 inches of snow, no problem. Hint: you need good tires. XC70 will eat tires if you don't rotate them every 5000 miles.

Engine power, sound system, satellite radio, dealer warranty. great in foul weather. Seats are comfy with lots of adjustments. Fuel mileage about 25-28 mpg.

Darker tint on the rear windows. They are all ready dark, why not make them darker?

Stylish and comfortable
By Mike

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a couple of weeks back, so can't comment on reliability yet, I just gave it the average of the other ratings. My wife and I both had liked our old Volvo 740 station wagon, which even at 18 years was still more pleasant to drive than some midsize cars we recently tested. Therefore, we decided to get another Volvo and don't regret it. Performance is more than adequate. The suspension is actually a bit unrefined; it will tell you exactly about every nook and cranny on the road, but it will never loose composure. The seats are marvellous - after a 5 hours drive, you feel well rested. Most comfortable car I've ever driven.

Design in and out, clear, logical controls, comfortable seats, solid feel.

Refinement of suspension.

A Solid Performer
By Virginia George

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought our 2004 XC70 as a used car with 10,000 miles on the odometer. Over three years of daily driving it, I've become a fan. The car is surprisingly peppy and agile for a station wagon. It maneuvers easily in high-speed rush hour traffic on D.C.'s Beltway. It's an excellent long- distance cruiser. Front seats are exceptionally comfortable for a long- legged driver like me. Auto AC works great, year-round. Overall, the car has been very solid and reliable. However, I've replaced more front headlight bulbs on this car than in my prior five cars combined. Only significant defects -- radio controls, lack of foot space in rear seat, lack of storage in passenger compartment.

Ride and handling, front seats, automatic climate control.

More reliable and longer-lasting headlight bulbs; more storage space in passenger compartment; Michelins instead of Pirelli tires (replaced original tires at 30K miles); simpler, more traditional radio controls; more rear-seat leg room