Used 2002 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Love it
By Bill

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have 239,000 miles in the little jewel and will drive it until I die.

Totally expected
By sadvolvoowner

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Owner of this car for four years now. Little over 80k on the car when purchased. Around 120k, 130 k the instrument cluster failed. I bought the part, but Volvo & the mechanic seem to have an excuse everytime we try to get the car in to replace it.

The car has a new timing belt and steering column -and other parts too numerous to name. The car is in the shop 2 -3 times a year.

Although this is a very safe car and I feel safe in it, it is a money pit.

Do not buy a Volvo unless you enjoy throwing your money away! All the electronic components will fail.

Your best option if you want a Volvo is to buy a really old one with no digital components.

Good luck!!!

I love my VOLVO!
By KxVx

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my Volvo because I was familiar with the reliably of the brand, as my first car was a 240 DL. I've been very happy with it, and it gets great gas mileage for a car with such get-up-and-go.

Radio controls on steering wheel, premium sound system, sunroof, great handling, cargo space, and reliability.

A/C controls on steering wheel (Lincolns have it, so I know it can be done!), cross bars standard on roof rack (lengthwise ones are almost useless without them!), and I think the wheel base should be widened just a little, because where I live we have speed lumps, and this wagon is just too narrow.

Fabulous and Fun V70
By MaineTrees

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

After 4 years and 50K+ miles I still love this car. It is a joy to drive. Seat comfort is superb. I can drive for hours with no back ache. Braking system is superb. This is the non-turbo model and has plenty of pep with the 5 speed auto transmission. 32 MPG highway at 70 mph. About 22-23 in the city. Repairs and scheduled maint are expensive at the dealer!! Find a good independent garage and stick to the maintenance schedule. You will save lots of $$. Change the trans fluid every 40K miles, the claimed lifetime trans fluid interval is baloney. The cost of a new tranny will make you cry!

Who would think a wagon would be fun to drive? This one really is. Love the seat comfort, interior design, brakes and safety features. These cars will easily run for 250k miles with proper maintenance. Rear door panels are a plastic like Saturns.

Driving position is low. Cannot see around any SUV at a light or stop sign.

Eats Wheel Bearings
By run4fun12

2002 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car has had 6 wheel bearing replacements in 130,000 miles. Spoke of record with an engineer at bearing supplier. Said the bearings are not adequate for parts of North American market. Inner wheels fill with mud and harden creating vibration when driving. I don't recommend this car if you live or travel on dirt roads.

Wife loves it. Repair shop owner loves it too. Very expensive to repair.

Upgrade wheel bearing system. Redesign wheel mud splash and drainage.