Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Transmission Issues
By Tracy

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Overall experience has been very good until recently when the RPM would race to peak levels while driving. Initial repair shop found nothing wrong. Towed car to dealer and they advised the transmission needed replacement to the tune of $3,800. I would expect this from a lower end vehicle, but not from a Volvo.

Heated seats.

Transmission should not fail when regular suggested maintenance is completed.

Quirky transmission
By Ted

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

We have owned the vehicle for about 10 months (15k miles)and the only money we spent was on front end work which is typical for this car for 100k. Every once in a while when we step on the gas pedal the RPMS jump from about 2000 to 4-5000 (30-40mph). We have the latest software updates and the Volvo mechanic could not find anything wrong. Does anybody have this problem and what did you find out about it? Overall, a good vehicle. Thanks.

Comfortable seats,safety,audio system.

Improve on suspension and quirky transmission.

Stylish, Clever, Fun, Safe
By BHL220

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my V70 2.4 Turbo. The clever packaging, stylish looks, great handling and fun to drive factor. Not to forget that I'm not embarrassed to drive a wagon since it looks sporty and more upscale than most grocery getters. Reliability? Running great at 131K w/ some problems along the way. But c'mon, this is no Honda/Yota. My Benz that cost 2x as much has 2x the issues and my new BMW has been in the shop more than not, and like my V70, is a first year production model. If reliability is top priority over form, fun and function then go Japanese. Maintain these cars and they last forever, not without faults though. Swede love.

Body style, ergonomics, features, handling, performance (turbo), luxury interior, fold flat rear seats, heated seats.

Better software updates for transmission. Mine has had some intermittent harsh shifts but no fix and car shifts great 90% of time with 131K. Fuel mileage lower than expected but when you consider performance, speed and safety, 21 mpg average isn't bad with heavy city and high speed highway driving.

Shock and Awe.
By skipb

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has ruined our brand loyalty to Volvo (having previously owned and been very happy with an 84 DL wagon, an 84 GL sedan, an 88 740 wagon, a 93 850 sedan, and a 97 850R sedan), and as a result we probably will not be buying another. We have already spent well over 5K replacing items that should never need replacing (the radiator, 4 or 5 control modules, etc.), and now we are facing a 5K transmission replacement at 94K miles. The dealer is sympatheic, as is Volvo of America, but is otherwise totally unresponsive. It's a shame, but it's time for us to explore another brand.

Safety, comfort, appearance.

Reliability, especially regarding anything having to do with electronics.

Love it, hate it, love it, hate it
By A driver in East TN

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first non-Honda/Acura vehicle, and likely my last. I bought it used less than 3 years ago, and since then it seems as though something or another is constantly breaking: ABS module ($900); outside temperature sensor; turbo boost sensor; body and interior hardware; a/c blower; fuses blowing; you name it. I love the comfort, the looks and the cargo room, but it's wearing me out.

Lots of cargo space, accessory outlets, comfy seats. I also feel very safe in it. Lots of punchy acceleration too.

Flimsy plastic interior/exterior body hardware; overall quality and reliability are disappointing.