Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

2001 V70 Wagon
By Dave

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My vehicle has the standard five cyl. non turbo engine. I purchased the car new. I really like this car. It is stylish, it's been reliable, and it gets good gas economy for its size. It runs very well on mid-grad gasoline, runs very smoothly on premium, and runs OK on regular (no pinging, but much less zip). The car is heavy, so acceleration is not the best but is adequate. Get the turbo if you want to take off in a hurry. My biggest complaint is the lack of Volvo dealers available to service the car. Also,there are some high tech features that become expensive to fix. Even small items are expensive as the parts sources are limited, making trim and accessories expensive.

Styling, handling, and cargo area. With the back seats folded down, there is a lot of room to haul stuff. Gas mileage is also a plus 21/30 city/highway.

Stay away!
By Lemon

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this car one year ago with 61k miles and have had nothing but problems. It has left me stranded 5 times in the past four months! Very very comfortable to wait for the tow truck in. Every time we get in this car something goes wrong. We are aware of at least $5000 (no exaggerating!) worth of problems with this car. Absolutely the worst car I've ever owned. We purchased a Volvo for safety and reliability...but stalling at 70mph on the highway with two small children in the dark negates any safety features of this tank. Stay away! We take delivery on our next car (not a Volvo!) tomorrow. Can't wait to get rid of this bomb!

Very comfortable to wait for tow truck in.

I'd like it to work when I turn the key, for the features (like brakes, steering, cadyllidic converter, alternator, gas gauge etc.) to actually work, too. Also don't like the oil and various fluids leaking in the driveway constantly. This isn't even 1/2 the problems we've had in one year!

Safe but unreliable.
By sunny2

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car new. It was a very comfortable car and drove smoothly for a couple of years. After 2 years and 13k miles, transmission problems arose. Transmission problem temporarily fixed with some software upgrades. However, at 56k miles, the car jolts between gears and it needs an entire new transmission. I have read this is a problem with this model. Volvo NA claims no responsibility and that the car is simply past warranty. The company hung up on me! Transmission failure has resulted in numerous other problems with engine mounts and suspension. This vehicle has serious mechanical problems. Beware.

The car is spacious and versatile in its seating arrangements.

Improvement in the mechanical reliability is suggested. Better consumer service and protection is advised.

Great fun to drive
By cleerssen

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellent driving machine, little wacky on the electrical and ETM but solid car all told. Good gas mileage for 245hp.

Acceleration, handling, looks, safety, leather.

Electronic system.

Money Pit!
By pdxfamily

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased this wagon just before the arrival of our 3rd child. I wanted something safe and reliable. Every 6 months we're at the shop with an EXPENSIVE fix. The worst problem was the throttle body (it was eventually recalled and we were reimbursed). The car surged and stalled and you never knew when you pulled out into an intersection if the car would hesitate and threaten to stall. Each time I pay for an expensive fix, I decide to just keep the darn thing. Then, of course, another huge repair 6 months later. The most recent problem, a vibration in right front area, is apparently an axle. Last one for me - my husband's toyota costs a whopping $150/year for service/maintenance. Done with Volvo!

power