Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

I'm happy, it's not that bad!
By Happy

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Wow! After reading the poor reviews of the 2001 XC 70, I had to let everyone know about my good experience. I've owned Volvos and my parents have owned Volvos for many decades. I purchased this car for the turbo and carrying capacity. I've been pleased. I bought it at 75,000 mi and now it's at 100K. I've kept up with the maintenance, which has been a bit more expensive than my sedans, but I have not experienced the transmission issues nor electronic issues that are posted on this site. Issues have been: alternator, 1 software update, transmission flush, cam seal leak, and common maintenance. There will always be the bad stories that are reported first. I'm happy with my car.

Heated seats, optional manual shifter, dual climate control.

Gas mileage to 30mpg at least.

Long Term Owner
By Mike Gibbons

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Contrary to the various negative reviews, my Volvo XC has been a joy to own! Very comfortable, safe, great AWD in the snow - and a joy to drive! Repairs have been minimal over my 7 years of ownership.

AWD, leather upholstery. Safety. Reliability

Can't think of any!

What Happened to Volvo quality?
By theodora Watts

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

4th Volvo, nothing but problems with major systems on this one. Exorbitant repair costs. They want to replace catalytic converter, A/C, transmission, seat belt, clogged filter to the tune of $10,000. My Ford Taurus lasted much longer for 1/3 the purchase price. Last Volvo for me.

Elegant, great ride, great in the snow.

Get some quality control during production.

One tough car
By Speef

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned many Volvos, this 2001 is a T5. It's been as tough as nails. I've repeatedly towed my 4k lbs boat, it's been driven hard and it never gave up on me. It's got 135k miles on the clock and going strong.

Reliability, best seats in the business

Wondering steering wheel, below average feedback from the road (R model was big improvement here)

$1000 repair every visit.
By JimR

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Get the extended warranty! Well I just received the call from the dealership that my Volvo needs a new transmission ($4,500). Since the car is worth between $5-$6K that’s it. The car was a great car to drive. The car just was not reliable. After about 50-60K miles, every trip to the dealer was another $1K bill. I’m not talking consumables here but things that have never broken on any car I have ever owned. (a radio that would change stations every time the car hit a bump or the driver window that fell out of its track twice -after being fixed). There is nothing like driving a $40K car with duct tape holding your window up. My wife hates this car.

Booster seats. Intelligent driver controls. Exterior and interior.