Used 2000 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

A Mind Blowing Wagon
By Brad

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used with 89,000 miles on the clock. This car has TOTALLY BLOWN ME AWAY! Probably the best handling wagon I've driven. Gets the same gas mileage as my old 4 cylinder Honda Accord. EXCEPTIONAL power (0-60 under 9 seconds) for a 2.5 litre, non turbo car with automatic. Better yet, it has been TOTALLY reliable in my 30,000 miles of ownership (YES, I drive a LOT :)) My only REAL complaint is the front cupholder that appears to be a toy out of a McDonald's Happy Meal. Also, I will probably go with a Turbo next time around since I do a fair amount of high altitude mountain driving. Although very peppy in normal driving, the engine DOES get short of breath past 4500 ft altitude.

INCREDIBLE blend of performance and fuel economy. Plenty of space for the Newfoundland Dog. Did I mention mind blowing handling for station wagon? Like the 5 speed automatic trans.

Redesign the front cupholder, PLEASE! Could use one of Volvo's turbo engines above 4500 feet altitude.

Worst Car I have Ever Owned!!
By Bonnie

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

This car has been a headache from the get-go. Dealer never fixed the MANY problems the first time in their shop. Had problems w/broken cup holder, electrical problems ALL the time. Had problem starting the car from day one, the dealer never fixed it after many attempts. Tranny clunked down-shifting couldn't fix that either. Rear hatch panel broke off cost $170 to fix a month later it came detached again. GET THIS, THEY TOLD ME I'M SLAMMING IT TOO HARD! Then the ECS light came on and felt as if the car was going to stall. Dealer didn't tell me this was covered under a class action law suit I had to discover this myself. Then they tell me I had to replace $3,000 worth of RULING-OUT parts before

Volvo would repair my car. My husband asked if they wanted to buy the car from us and they said NO. No kidding! We got rid of it the next day. By the way there were many other little problems to many to mention. This car was the worst I have ever owned and will not own another Volvo or Ford, ever!

Love this car.
By queen bee

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This vehicle has saved me several times on slick roads. Snow driving feature is great, as well as AWD. Gets through mud better than a jeep. Done wonderful duty moving back and forth from house to farm and summer home, also moving my father into a retirement home. Carries an enormous amount and the rear door is cut wide and high relative to the roof. And it looks great! It's comfortable to ride in, roomy.

Heated seats, sunroof, split rear seats that fold down. Snow drive engine control. Rear netting and roof rack. Also have a tow package with hitch, towing small livestock van. Rear windshield wipers.

When rear windows are open, there is tire roar that is annoying.

Disappointed
By Disappointed Owner

2000 Volvo V70 SE 4dr Wagon

First European Car I have owned after 1 Honda and 3 Nissans. I am back to Japanese after this experience. Car purchased as a one year old car with 13,000 miles. Good safety features, design, and options features have been far outweighted by terrible mechanical failures, all after certified extended waranty expired. Failures included steering, electronic throttle control systems, master brake cylinder, driver's seat belt, front brake rotors, and front passenger electric window switch. Repair costs have exceeded $3,000. I have never owned a car that experienced major failures of critical drive train components. An now the car has several rattles. I would not recommend Volvo to anyone.

The car is a nice size versus a larger SUV. Roof rack very easy to reach for attaching sports equipment. Comfortably carries a family of four with all gear for beach or skiing.

As I only have 300 characters for this part of the review and I think the car has not at all lived up to its reputation, I would suggest Volvo go back to building a car that's as good as its reputation, because the 2000 Volvo V70 SE has been a major disappointment and I will not buy another Volvo.

Run or you'll be walking
By JTB

2000 Volvo V70 XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Looks aren't everything, unless you have one; towed 11 times. Axle bearings, transfer case, turbo oil leak 4x, etc. Pricey with high cost to maintain: Tires & brakes ~15k. Stranded my wife and little girl more than once. Not the volvo our parents had, but what do you expect from a company owned by ford? Would not buy another.

Other than its looks, the for sale sign. The creature comforts are nice.

Use quality components to build a quality car since you pay a premium for both car and service.