Used 2000 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Disappointed with 2000 V70XC SE
By Jarod Focha

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this vehicle when my wife and I decided to have kids for safety reasons. I bought it with only 42K on it. Dealership had just gone through it and I have the $2K receipt to prove it. Immediately I had problems with the front axle. My mechanic was able to get Volvo to pick up the $2K bill. When the vehicle hit 75K miles the car began falling apart. Turbo went out $2.5K. Car never drove the same after changing it out at the dealership. Shudders, runs rough. 2 months later the fuel pump went out another $2K. 1 month the axle and AWD need repair another $1K. When it goes it goes and nothing is cheap. Not your ideal vehicle if you cannot afford expensive, frequent repairs.

Before turbo went out ran like a dream. Very smooth, nice comfortable car until about 65K miles.

Higher quality parts that last longer than 60-70K miles. The dealership told me the turbos never go out and should last 150K+. Interior is cheap and falls apart also. Leather on side panels pulls away, panels come loose easily. A lot of front end problems with the AWD. SE=super expensive.

Dogs love their Volvo
By aman 4allseasons

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had my Volvo for three years now and have enjoyed it. Mine is the Cross County which means it has the turbo engine; unfortunately the turbo Cross Country is not available anymore. Those extra ponies is great when you need to pass someone. I really like the cargo net that is built into the rear seats as it keeps the dogs out of the passenger area, most of the time. Except when my Australian Shepard got around it and ate a whole plate of macaroni & cheese. My Volvo has a load leveling system in the rear suspension which is really nice. Handles great on turns Dislikes: cup holder, which does look like it did come from a Happy Meal. 1 variable wiper

Seats which are the best in the industry. lighted window switches. Turbo engine. Automatic transmission system. AWD. Emergency maneuver system. Heated front seats and side mirrors. Drivability & handling.

improved cup holders. Windshield wipers that automatically come when it rains. move the cruise controls to the steering wheel. more durable window switches & latch for the rear tailgate. The interior panel of same fell off. ipd out of Portland Or. has a nice kit to secure it.

Engine disaster
By daclasn

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This is the 3rd Volvo I have owned, the other 2 being 240's. The car is comforable and drives great, but the engine has been a constant source of trouble. It has burned excessive oil since new..a quart every 500 miles. Volvo tested it and declared it "normal". Now that it is out of warranty, it is starting to burn valves, 3 so far and burning even more oil. The car is a disaster and Volvo's plan seems to be to get owners out of warranty then refuse to do anything to back up thier product. I will never buy another Volvo. They are not what they used to be!

Handling, comfortable seats

Support from Volvo. Better engine reliability.

Love it when it works!
By jeffnallyg

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car two years ago, and have spent in excess of $3000 on repairs!! I love the car, the way it looks, and the safety features. However, I never know what is going to fail next. We purchased a Volvo because of their excellent reputation, or so we thought. The transmission, ABS module, just to name a few major failures. If your ABS module fails search Victor Rocha volvo on google. Highly recommended, and saved us over $1000!

Do like the safety features. Feels very solid, and safe. Very comfortable to drive.

Don't do it!
By Bashstpaul

2000 Volvo V70 Wagon XC SE Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Save yourself the trouble. This car isn't worth it. Last year alone (2007) I had over $7,000 in repair bills on this car. Total repairs have cost me over $18,000. Electrical, ABS Module, Brakes, Tranny, etc. etc. etc. Rear hatch panel keeps coming loose. Now the rear hatch won't lock. Keep thinking there's nothing left to go wrong. This dog keeps showing me how laughable that attitude is. Can't go 3 months without a shop visit. The absolute worst car I've ever owned.

When it's working this car is great! Comfort, cargo room that rivals SUVs, heated seats, turbo. Luxurious as all heck. Doesn't matter if it's not working though. I can afford to buy another Volvo. Just can't afford to keep one.

Back to the drawing board. Don't fix it. Redesign it. And yes, the ridiculous cupholder doesn't even belong in a child's toy car. Don't know if it's Ford's ownership or what, but I do know that a car that barely runs isn't much of a car.