Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Extremely pleased owner
By Super v70GLT

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Great car inside and out. Very reilable vehicle with only standard maintenance items(e.g. brakes, tires). Excellent power plant and fun to drive - my wife loves it; she takes it on weekends and I get the minivan! Comfort, fuel economy, reliability, classic styling make this my favorite car so far . . . . though I still miss my 1986 760 Turbo wagon. One great car after another, and the walnut trim inside against the tan leather completes the look, comfort and feel of this great wagon. If I had to do it again, I'd have bought this one sooner.

Leather, heated, comfy seats with memory feature for two. GLTurbo!! Great sound-system. Walnut trim. Traction control. Fold down seats. Power plant - goes like Jack the Bear and cruises beautifully.

One or two more inches back on the drivers seat for tall folks. That's it!

What happened to Volvo?
By E. Knapp

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have always had a Volvo since the mid 80's. The quality of them, CHEAP Plastic, and way too much for parts and service, almost a 300% mark up on the stuff. The Emissions started acting up and the car will not pass even after spending $1000 on service only to be told it can't be fixed. As well as there is a shake in the front end (no accidents) and been in twice never found out what was wrong. Perfect alignment Never buy another one!

The all wheel drive versatility.

More comfort. Better quality in their plastics, and not charge an arm and a leg for the parts. Electrical probs galore. I'm going for BMW's now. Better quality, and a little cheaper to maintain

sweet ride, but expensive to maintain
By MarkyD

1998 Volvo V70 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought 4-yrs old and have owned for 4 years. The good: great performance, very comfortable, safe. Holds a lot of cargo, but is really a 4-seater, not 5. With two car seats in the back, only a child can squeeze between them. The bad: parts are very expensive and it is prone to electrical problems. We've replaced the stereo and power window switches, but both problems recurred within 6 months. Also had to replace ABS computer which cost $440 just for the part, plus labor. Now the power locks are on the fritz. Never had a breakdown or failed to start, just annoying/expensive repairs. Overall, a good car, but we are trading in on a Honda Odessey soon, which is a better bang for the buck.

Turbo, manual shifter, comfy front seats, cargo area.

Rocky Start, Pretty Good Finish
By JD Rockefeller

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I love wagons, especially small reliable ones. I bought this used @45K miles, and the dealer did all the maint', but after 50K, I paid and it was killing me (a thousand plus / year). I was mad and ready to sell when I finally found a good local guy. It's been great ever since. Much of what the dealer "recommended" was just a waste - In three years: a Battery Tires Rotors Pads; that's about it, everything still works. This car has no pep, it's ugly, I rarely wash it and change the oil filter every 10K, but it is super reliable, the most comfortable, gets decent gas milage, and still feels rock solid after well into 200K miles. Now I might buy another, but a little sports car's calling too ..

Reliable and Solid after 6 years of 110 mile daily round trips. Volvo tends to keep the near-exact model for several years, and as an engineer I can tell they have thought out placement of components, interchangability, etc. Just find a good local guy 'cause two of two dealers here are ripoffs.

They've gotten better at styling - the new ones are not eye candy but they no longer look like red-headed step children either. Too bad they don't make a small blazer type - the original one with the removable hard top that was part jeep, part suburban - and make it V40 size.

98 Volvo
By Tim

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first hands on experience with V70 XC. I have heard and read a lot about its safety, comfort and reliability, but once you drive one, it's a different experience. It is not as speedy and powerful as a mustang or as luxury as Lexus, but safe enough for those long trips or unexpected weather changes. Very easy to handle and safe with cornering. It's heavy enough to notice a smooth ride with out that road noise you would hear in most of the cars. I think I will keep this one for a while or trade it in for a newer one.

Stiffer, more stable ride. Road noise reduction to a bare minimum, Excelent sound system. Smooth shifting. Good gas mileage.

Heated seats needs could use a little more otion on the temperature adjustment.