Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

I Paid for it 2X's
By CD Barnett

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have paid for the car at least twice in repairs. I love the look of the car and the carrying capacity, but the repairs have done me in. I am looking for another car.

Looks. Carrying capacity.

Mechanical

luv it
By precisionmike

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

bought it brand new, and until about an hour ago it was the best car ever. just hit a deer head on and the car will probably be totaled due to cosmetic damage. 165k and it runs smooth as glass. serviced every 5k and doesn't burn a drop of oil and we get 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. not one rust spot on it and we live in new york, the 'winter salt belt'. the R engine is a kick in the pants, we've surprised many a driver with the power and performance. AWD never let us down in snow and ice. some issues with AC and the CD player... other than that normal wear and tear... i will buy another one.

R engine, heated leather seats, AWD, nice wheels, speakers were great for factory spec, good looking car

better CD player... wipers on headlights were worthless

Great car for first 120k, but now......?
By Dutchman

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Getting some anxieties about upcoming costs. Volvo shops are VERY expensive. Are they better than local guy? I don't know. So far we had to do only the normal maintenance, but we now also have the loose sway bars, rusting brakes, the tailgate interior loose and the "check engine" light on of which the first repair did not fix it..... Is it falling apart? Selling makes no sense. Trade-in values are horribly low. So from feeling like we were driving the best car of the world, we now are in sticker shock looking at rising repair costs and no good alternative.... A lube job to a squeaking skylight would require its removal @ several hundreds....

Drives well, great ABS, quality body, good mileage, handles well, not noisy.

Too late for that. Volvo has already decided to become more of a luxury brand. They also no longer sell manual transmission, so no more Volvo for us.

Awesome Car
By bobsfrankenbeans

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Coming from a '96 Saturn sw2, this volvo was a huuuuuge upgrade. It's air tight (so much so that your ears pop when opening/closing the sunroof), runs like a charm, and is so stable that I often forget I'm driving in through icy/snow covered roads (as the AWD and Wet setting makes the car hunker down and adjust beautifully to the changing grip). the cabin stays at a nice temperature even with it's -20 out and it warms up within 5 mins. It's super comfortable, good audio, etc. etc. It's not as much fun as the saturn - no doughnuts or snow drifting - but it's certainly safer, warmer, and at an appropriate level to allow giant F-9000s to see you, not matter the weather.

Warm. Safe. Comfortable. So stable, I often find myself going 80+. The accelerator and brake pedals are deep within the cabin which means amazing leg room for tall ppl. stiff pedals = you can rest ur foot on them during long trips... many more i don't have space to mention.

Turn radius. Also, the giant windshield is wonderful but I tend to have to defrost it constantly- and it would be nice if it was like the BMW and had side mirrors that tilt down to the curb as you're backing up..

Money Pit
By Chery Pie

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have had a V70 for about 5 years. It has been one thing or another. The last straw was the transmission that had to be replaced. I can't wait to unload it and get what...another damn Volvo? Think twice about a Volvo.

Size - not too big not too small. Comfortable.

Interior hardware. Door latches. Needs sturdier bumper - brand new one has cracked after one year.