Used 2005 Volvo V50 Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

The Worst Car of My Life
By bob

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car has 44,000 miles.since Feb'06, it has been on a flatbed 3x because it wouldn't start.Two of those times, I was on vacation 500 and 350 miles from home.They "fixed" it once.This car is a nightmare. Two sets of tire by 45000 @ $200/tire. Cd player has been replaced.Fuel line has been replaced.Rear wiper has fallen off.Should I expect more for a car in the $30+K range.Volvo customer care is a joke.They do not care."On Call" operators never told me about trip interruption insurance (I've talked to about 6 of them). I received the info form a dealer.If this is any indication of Volvo quality-forget it. I cannot wait to rid myself of this car. This is the worst car purchase of my life.

fuel economy-handling-power

rear a/c vents, back your product(if it's bad-do something about it to uphold your reputation as a "quality" car);more reasonable tires

Great Car..BUT
By Al

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to look at and drive, a stylish interior is always a pleasure to sit in.Got the car fully loaded with sport package and body kit. Practical with lots of cargo space. Gas mileage is around 25 mainly in city driving A cautionary note - I had a problem with road noise/ front suspension , Dealer could not fix it, went to Lemon Law,the car was inspected 4/11/06 by Volvo to confirm the noise was still present after their 4 repair attempts. Four months later I still have not had a refund or replacement and am applying to the State for Arbitration.

Memory seats when they remember, smooth zippy engine

Better customer care from both dealer and Volvo if you want to be considered a Premium Brand

Fun to drive but SMALL!
By papalo

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

OK, we knew that this was a small wagon going into our purchase, but, man, is it cramped! If you need more cargo space than a sedan but not as much as an SUV, this would be a fun (and functonal) vehicle to drive. But, with two toddlers (and all the stuff that goes with them), it is just smaller than we were thinking it would be. Plus, maintenance and repair on this vehicle is astronomical. ($200 to replace ONE tire!) We've had some reliability issues with the electrical system as well. We're already looking to trade it in for something else...

Gas mileage is very good; T5 model is very fun to drive; Doesn't look like a "typical" wagon; Safety features can't be beat; Available upgrade sound system is excellent.

Make the upgraded sound system standard; A/C vents for rear passengers (our Camry even has that!)

Fun, Perfect compact size, Great look
By M. Burgoyne

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Great workmanship inside and out,sharp european lines, solid feel driving and when you close the doors, love the hi-tech fabric on the seats - easy to wipe off and stands up to my two teenagers and the dogs extremely well ! Perfect small size that is wonderful handling around town and parking but,on the interior, it can get big when you put the back seats down. Volvo has been very good with updating software changes- my automatic had a timing problem shifting between 1st and 2nd gear in some limited situations and when I took it in, they already had a software update - downloaded it and runs perfectly now. Never had any other problems.

solid, quality build; exterior looks; compact size

Glad I bought IT
By DRinNH

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Excellent performance and features easily used after careful review of manual. Great for family of four, while four adults will not be comfortable for long. The turbo gives this vehicle great pickup and transmission is smooth. My family all love it.

Turbo, AWD and moon roof.

Larger side view mirrors and better storage comparments