Used 2005 Volvo V50 Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volvo V50

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

Electronics on this car is a nightmare!
By V 50 is a haeadache

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

We are soccer parents so are on the road almost every weekend shuttling kids from event to another. We need a spacious and reliable car. The first 2 years were ok. The last 2 years have been a headache. The car is in the shop every month! The electronic system is always failing, with all kinds all scary warning signs: Engine Failure, Break Failure, Transmissions failure! This week was the worst. The immobilizer warning comes on and the key is stuck at position 1. Had to get it towed to the shop. Volvo has not been able to fix the problem after so many software upgrades. If you do not want to find yourself stranded 200 miles away from home, do not buy this car

We love the style and how spacious it is. Easy to pack in all kids stuff on out numerous road trips. Handles well.

Fix the electronic system!

A Shop Queen
By Former Volvo Lover

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The car goes into the shop multiple times a year for warranty repairs. Lately, it has been in the shop more than I've been able to drive it. Some of the many issues include a major fuel leak warning, a sunroof drain routed to the drivers feet(and resulting flood), broken keys (they actually broke apart), air conditioning which suddenly spews hot air and then suddenly goes back to cold air (only on one side), broken sunroof motor, squeaky brakes (even new), broken antenna in the steering wheel which disables your key and strands you with no way to turn your car on (subsequent tow (by Volvo) resulting in a punctured oil pan and finger pointing by the Volvo Customer Service and Service Reps).

I am a small person and I love the shape and feel of the front seats. The cargo space is great too.

There have been a lot of problems with this car. These may have been fixed in later years. This is my second Volvo. I will not buy a third.

Too many problems.
By Sally

2005 Volvo V50 T5 Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Our V50 has been in the shop a lot. Problems with the radio, the auto rear view mirror, the alignment, the radio, the outside temp indicator, engine cutting out. Can't remember how many computer upgrades have been done. The electronics on this car are terrible. Just got it out of the shop again--engine light on and the engine would cut out. Cost me over $500 to repair--this time it was the fuel pressure sensor which surprise needed to have another computer upgrade. Expensive to repair.

Fun to drive--that's about it.

Go back to the drawing board.

Fun to drive family car
By kermit

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our V50 wagon because we had a baby on the way. It was by far the best looking in it class. We've had some minor issues. The visor mirror lights stopped working, but the dealership fixed it without complaint. My biggest gripe has been that it goes through breaks and tires fast. The brakes needed replaced at 25k and the tires will need replaced before 40k. The car also has a tendency to look the saved seat settings. It can take or day or two to get it right again. Overall, the car has been great though. I would definitely buy one again.

Exterior styling. Comfortable seats.Smooth, quite ride.

Lack of interior storage compartments. Poor city mileage. Over thick "A" pillar creates a blind spot when turning left. Tight foot well around the gas peddle.

Pretty good, but not great.
By misliss

2005 Volvo V50 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I am on my second V50. The first I had for a month, and it was in the shop 3 weeks of that month. After much complaining, I got Volvo to give me a new one, with more features. I have leased my car for 3 years and am about to buy it. It works pretty well for my life as a busy mom of one. But, the sunroof leaks, the interior lights sometimes work, and I have gone through more tires than I would like to admit. The car gets great gas mileage, drives nicely, has enough zip to keep me going, and is great on turns.

Great design, very stable on the road, very safe

Rear a/c vents, better rear visability