Used 1998 Volvo S90 Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo S90

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )

Amazing vehicle will last
By darkmatter

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I have been rather amazed after purchasing my 98 Volvo S90 with its quality and fun! This is the last flagship of the swedish brick design by volvo before it was purchased by ford in 1999. By the way, if you are up in the air between this car and a 99- 2003 S80 go with this car much less issues. The S90 is RWD and has an amazing turn radius and cornering ability. If you like to do your own work on your car this is a blast! Easy to work on and junkyard 9 series parts (940,960,S90) parts are all for the most part interchangeable! Great first car, great car period, volvo went out with a bang, not a flashy one but one that will hold your interest and your family safe for years!

Turning radius, ease of repair, paint quality, engine is problem free, back seat comfort, size, roll cage, and unique styling

The cup holder often places your beverage in the way of your arm while you are turning or trying to shift, a true annoyance but workable if you get used to it.

what to like about hte s90
By kevin

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

The vehicle has been reliable.It starts up 100% of the time. The heating and air conditioning unit is above average. I live in Massachusetts, it gets cold up here and the heated seats are just great for the weather. The car gets warm faster than most cars. This is my first volvo and i have no noteable complaints. Little things on my volvo have gone, like the horn, sunroof, emergency brake, and the doorhandle. It recently overheated but i fixed it the hose bursted behind the engine. Other then those issues the car has been great, its reliable its kind of speedy, and its very comfortable.

I like the "premium sound system." To my knowledge, it is absolutly the best stock sound system made for that year by any company. I also like where the clock is located, on the dash next to the speedometer. It is conveniently located and pretty unique. Not many cars have an actual clock on them.

The button placement is unique. I feel like the lock and unlock buttons are in a weird place. The rear defrost option should be where the regular defrost option is as well. Otherwise i have no complaints about the car.

Good Car
By Fonda Blackburn

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years, bought new.The car is still in excellent condition inside. A few dings on the outside. Keep thinking its time to trade in but since its paid for and very reliable, its hard. The only thing I wish for is that it would get better gas mileage. I plan on keeping it another 2 or 3 years.

The interior of the car is well made.

Two things I do not like about the car, is the antenna(power one) and the cup holders is between the seats.

Still Love my Volvo S90 After 8 Years
By Sharon

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after a friend of mine had an accident and almost died in a compact car. I traded my one year old Buick Century for my first non-American car. It was the best decision I ever made. I bought it at 25,000 when it came off lease at 2 years old. I have had the maintenance done on the car that the book suggests and have had very little problem with it. At 130,000 miles, I will still take it anywhere. The 6 cyl engine is still as smooth as it was. Still handles great. She still looks new. Every once in a while I will go and look at a new S80 and will get all excited about it but after I get back in my car I think, why? I would buy it all over again!!

Fun to drive. Turns on a dime. RWD. Sound system is great. Easy on the body on long trips. Large trunk. Large gas tank is such a plus. I can go over 400 miles on a Interstate trip. Leather still looks almost new. I love it when people think she's new!!

Cup holder is a big flaw for this car. She eats tires but I keep the performance rating on the car. You can put a lower speed rating tire on but you will loose the wonderful gripping power of the road, cornering, and ride. I changed to synthetic oil around 100k miles.

Not a bad car
By K.A

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I highly recommend this car for a first time buyer. The only problem with this car is it does horrible in the snow which is bad for me because i live in the Boston, Massachusetts area. Small problems can occur in this car but its like that with any car. I have owned this car for almost a year now and its been a great car. If you don't get at least 170,000 miles out of this car then there is a problem, it's built to last just like all Volvos. My only standing complaint is the cost to repair this vehicle it is not cheap.

Heated seats are key.