Used 2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S80

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Lovee it
By Kayla

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

So far I haven't had any problems with this car. The timing belt was replaced at 115,000 miles, but that's just typical maintenance. I'd heard that the maintenance was going to be extremely expensive. It is slightly more expensive but not that bad at all. It only gets about 18mpg though. Even when I'm at a long light or sitting in park with the car on for a long time, the engine runs very smoothly and extremely quietly. I expected the engine to be noisy because of the age of the car but it's one of the quietest engines I've ever heard. There is also very little road noise. Oh and a warning light is flashing warning me about a bulb failure, and from what I've read this happens pretty often.

leather seats, the engine is very quiet, large back seat, wood accents on the interior, sound system, exterior design, confidence in safety, powerful engine :]

I'd really like to get better mpg, but I know that it's a heavier car so that's not exactly possible. 18-20 really isn't that bad. the front of the car is rather long and wide so i worry when parking. not the tightest turning radius either. All of these are minor though, overall i love the car.

Nightmare
By Nightmare

2001 Volvo S80 T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought it used in '04 and have regretted it ever since. I'm looking at Japanese cars to finally replace this clunker. I got it with 41K miles and 10K miles later I had to replace a number of things. The biggie was rebuilt transmission at 73K miles; since then it drives like a truck with it's 13 mpg. The night mirror chemical dissipated soon thereafter, and now the car lurches to the left whenever I brake. Volvo mechanics have been unable to solve this one.

Use to be quiet with comfortable ride.

Too numerous to mention.

Great Drive, Bad Car
By KJHOG92

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car right after a transport company owned it for less than a year. Its great to drive, it's slow, but steering feels great, control is unbelievable. I've had this car up to 140 on the highway, was straight as an arrow, not even a vibration. I've taken this car on exit ramps at 80 mph. The car just grips the road. And it is so comfortable. I just love that aspect of the car. But the problem is the car isn't built right. The Sunroof has been replaced twice and doesn't work anymore, my front window barely work, everything is plastic and is just falling apart. New Tranny at 99,000 and the engine has an oil problem. And it sucks the fuel. If you have deep pockets than its good.

The drive and comfort is great.

No more plastic Parts. Make it work all the time, I love driving it.

Need to Build Them Like They Used To!
By lisag

2001 Volvo S80 T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Gone are the days when a Volvo lasted for 200,000 miles. I am on my third Volvo and can't say I would buy another one. The last one was a 1995 850 that I drove for 60,000 miles before the transmission went on it. I traded it for a 2001 S80, which I have loved, but now the transmission needs to replaced at 72,000 miles. $5,500 is a bit much to sink into a car with a blue book value slightly higher than that. These cars are great if you can afford to keep sinking money into them.

Great looks, comfortable drive.

Steering radius could be improved, longer warranties are needed to cover faulty transmissions.

Best value & fun to drive
By Mhamm334

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I must say this has been the best car I have ever owned. It has been well taken care of, when I purchased it had 57k miles, all service records are up to date. I am very impressed thus far. I would have to agree that visibility is lacking, but performance is great, and interior is greatly designed, there is lots of leg room in the back. Great for long trips to the beach.

Performance, T6, interior, stereo system. Heated seats!

Gas mileage is not great, but it isn't terrible.