Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Reliability Nightmare
By silver02m5

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Pretty much everything that can break on this car did break. In a single 18 month period we replaced an oxygen sensor, a mass air flow sensor, a motor mount, both lower control arms (under recall), an ignition switch, an ABS control unit, two upper strut assemblies, a piece of door trim, the computer thumb wheel stalk, the dash display, and an oil return line. The last straw was Volvo's refusal to replace a turbo that was blowing oil through the engine. Also, the transmission was slipping at 50,000 miles. A terribly made car from a company that has no interest in keeping long-term customers.

Awesome seats for taller drivers (the best on the market), good balance of performance/comfort/gas mileage, good climate control system (once you figure out how to use it).

Sell the car with an unlimited warranty, drastically improve electrical reliability. Improve mechanical reliability. Also, there is way too much plastic in the interior for a $50K car.

Worst Vehicle Every Purchased
By Brian

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Probably in the top 5 worst cars every made. 7yr old car, with 89k mi. Here is the short list: Warning lights constantly going off. Engine constatnly surges, even after multiple trips to dealer, multi software downloads and new throttle installed. Transmission is slipping. ABS system failed. Already replaced front bushings, struts, strut mounts and bearings. After 2nd set of new rotors, still vibrates like crazy when stopping. Cloth interior drooping, seats cracking. Sunroof brackets coming off. Headlight assembly is bad. AC fan vibrates and makes noise. Incredible depreciation rate! Owe $6500 on car and will have to put $3 to $5k to fix tranmission. Volvo won't help! Warranty ended in '06.

Looks great! Supposed to be safe? Was supposed to be reliable also. I hope I never have to find out. Frame is built like a tank.

Redesign Electrical/Computer System, Transmission, Brake system, and Engine. Redesign Cloth Enterior and leather seats to last.

My Volvo
By Sandra

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new. It is a wonderful car to drive although I have had a number of electrical and mechanical problems. I have severe arthritis and the seats are the most comfortable of any car I've ever owned and adjustable to many positions. I love the power and the instant response and feel it is the safest car on the road today. The only reason I'm considering another make is reliability. I've never owned a car with so many problems.

My favorite features are comfort, superior sound system, looks (at almost 7 years old it still looks great... I like the lines better than the newly designed 2007!), driveability (instant response, stability), safety features.

Reliability.

Reliable Fun
By Jay

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I started out loving the car. Right after it went out of warranty I had a number of small issues. My dealer recommended that I contact the regional manager and I complained to him that all my miles were expressway and I was unhappy that these problems occurred. He authorized the dealership to take care of these and I was not charged. Thanks Volvo customer service! I have had very few problems since then and currently have 238,500 miles on the car. I have driven and would buy a new 2007 Volvo S80, but I do not like the new center console and the way my knee hits up against it is uncomfortable. As much time as I spend in the car comfort is important so I am now looking at a competitor's car.

I like the comfort and pick up of the turbo.

For 2007 Volvo S80 - I don't think the designers must have spent a lot of time sitting in the car. If they would have, they would have noticed that the center console does not allow the driver to relax his/her right leg in a comfortable position for a long period of time.

Never again...
By lemonvolvo

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought 4 years old with 27k on it. 55k miles now. Know why the low miles, spent most of its life in for repairs. I spent $1200 on new shift solenoid per Volvo, which didn't fix 2nd to 3rd gear shudder. Then told me only remedy is $3500 new tranny. Didn't do that yet. Numerous phantom electrical problems. Repeated trips to clear codes, with a minimum $50 charge each time. If you are thinking of buying this model year, run away as fast as you can. See message boards and reviews. Ford didn't even own Volvo yet, so can't lay blame there. But it is a GM tranny, go figure. Will never buy another Volvo, have owned 17 vehicles in 35 years, this is worst buy far, more problems than all others combined

looks good!!