Used 2000 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Poor Engine Performance
By lbyers

2000 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

My 2000 S-80 has 87,00 miles on it. I purchased it in Oct of 2000 with 18,000 miles on it. The computer was replaced about 2 years later and thats when the problems started. My car was never the same. Now I am having problems with the mass air flow sensor. Every 6 months it needs replaced. Yet when the remove the code from the computer, it runs fine for about 2 weeks. And now it is starting to have electrical issues, in addition to eating head and tail lights.

Smooth ride

Fix all the elecrical issues

Wish we'd read the reviews first
By Mrs. D

2000 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Loved the car overall but our '94 Jeep Cherokee with 230k miles is more dependable. After several repairs of one kind or another, she started hesitating. Trusted mechanic said it was throttle body covered by extended warranty so take it to them for free replacement. Local dealer charged $100 for diagnostic and said it needed $3000 head gasket. Not so local dealer charged $100 for diagnostic and said it needed a $2300 head gasket. Car currently sitting at trusted mechanic's lot waiting for retired Volvo mechanic who agrees it's the throttle body to come fix it. It's been 5 months. Tomorrow we're buying a Lexus.

Great style and performance. Loved the turbo and the sporty/luxury combination.

Simply not reliable. For a car with such great style and safety reputation, she was a great disappointment.

The Worst Car Ever!
By Bowman

2000 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

We bought the 2000 model after threatening our dealer with a lemon law suit for the 1999 model we purchased 60 days prior. Dealer took the car back at full refund and offered us the 2000 model for a "deal". I wish they would have just kicked us in the head. Two ABS modules, engine struts, 3 radios, 3+ software upgrades, bi-annual computer resets (the kind that required a shuttle to and from work), two extended warranties (paid for themselves in six months), suspension problems. I would estimate the maintenance cost for this car have exceeded $20k. If it was a plane or a boat we would be dead. I thought Volvo Corp. could be trusted to release a product complete.

Turning the darn thing off. I have to say I don't even enjoy the car anymore. Day after day I am only reminded what kind of crappy product I have purchased and been stuck with. I don't even feel right selling the thing, it should be destroyed. If it was a dog it would have been put down.

BUY BACK! Volvo should take responsibility for the crappy $42,000 piece of junk and buy them all back for cash. Cash, because I will never buy another Volvo or suggest to anyone that they should be purchased. Buy them back and learn from the mistakes. Take responsibility for the poor engineering.

Awesome car with a few trips for repairs
By pmerch

2000 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is very powerful and performs excellent. I purchased this used a few years ago with 85k miles. The issue has been the repairs such as suspension and the throttle body but that was covered from a recall. I must say it's a comfortable car and looks great but it makes me nervous that a very costly repair is about to happen in the near future. Replacing the timing belt was not too expensive though and I recommend going to an independent shop unless you like to pay double the price and that can add up since this car goes in the shop every three months!

Seats and turbo.

Better steering (it can feel like driving a lincoln towncar) and more reliable.

Volvo you broke my heart (and my bank)
By thomas

2000 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

This was the third Volvo I have owned, have had nothing but great experiences in the past. Love the look and drive of this car, have had all maintenance performed on time at the dealership. This dealership's service dept. is ranked #1 in the country, now i know why, you see the folks there so much they get to be family. Have spent over $7,000 on repairs since I have owned the car, expensive replacements like the srs control unit, the abs control unit, the fire box (?), not to mention the usual wear and tear items. A car of this supposed quality that has been maintained exactly as recommended with the number of miles i have put on it should not have these types of problems - never again Volvo.

Looks, handling

Take all your computers out and start from scratch - enable other repair shops to diagnose problems with out having to have your scanner. Provide a "goodwill" waranty to loyal customers who have been fleeced by the repairs required on this year and model.