Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

good car, if you get one cheap
By connor

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

well it is a good car, but the fuel economy could improve, i average 19, and 25 on a long trip. the build quality is okay, could improve.

everything

fuel economy.

Looks Good - Did't Last
By Gator104

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

We bought this used with 39,000 miles. It has low profile tires which was a mistake as the noise from them is almost unbearable. Had the front suspension replaced at 87,000 (ride still noisy even after that). Had the sunfoof guides replaced due to roof rattle. Also, light bulbs burned out on a routine basis - a big pain. Little trim items kept breaking that had to be replaced - also a pain. THe radio/CD was of poor quality with poor sound and reception. Don't know if the lack of quality was the fault of Volvo or Ford cheapening things once they took over. Resale value does not hold at all. Finally dumped this dog at 89,000 miles and bought a used Lexus RX300, which is wonderful.

Interior comfort and sunroof. Also got decent mileage and has a big tank so you can cruise farther w/o having to fill up.

Improve quality and reliability

What has happened to Volvo Quality
By MDB51

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

This was my second Volvo. My first was a 1994 that was great. I looked foreward to the 2000 S-80. Intially it was fine, I do put a lot of miles on my cars but I also religiously keep them serviced too. It seemed that after the warrently was up everthing seemed to go bad. My biggest problem was first my right front wheel assembly collapsed to the tune of about $3000. Then a year later the left side collapsed-the same amount. I heard there was a factory recall on U joints and I suspect that I was not the only one to have this problem. The front under trim kept falling off. I finally got rid of it for a Mercedes which still has quality in their cars.

It was fun to drive when I first got it, but became a financial drain after the warrenty expired. Nice sound system.

One word-QUALITY!!!!! What happened to Volvo's reputation for great quality? Did it go out the window when Ford bought it?

Luxury at a bargain price
By Robert

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with the styling of this car the first year it was introduced--not the brick that Volvo enthusiasts admire. This is the most exciting automoabile I ever owned. But it's not just the looks that make it so great. It is a teriffic touring car, with a combination of smooth acceleration with power to get you into or out of the flow of traffic at will, and the comfort to drive for hours without fatigue. Navigation system is first rate. Backup radar has paid for itself several times, preventing rear end damage backing up in tight quarters. It's been a very reliable car, the only issues being cooling fan and battery replaced under warranty. Despite the power, highway mpg is 27.

exterior styling, interior beauty, acceleration, driving comfort, premium sound system

longer wearing tires than the Michelins that came standard; rearward visibility is not the best, as with many vehicles (backup radar is highly recommended); high tech equipment draws a lot of current--don't play radio or operate nav system without motor running (a heavier duty battery would be good)

Good Car to Drive
By Jose

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased my first Volvo 280 as a certified pre-owned in September 2003. I had a few small gliches at the beggining of my ownership which have been fixed by the dealer at no cost, namely problems had to do with rough idle, and system required maintenance. For the last year the car has performed excellently with just normal maintenance performed

- Interior design. One of the most confroatble sits I have sat while driving. - Good stereo. The 4 in-dash CD changer is very good. - Comfortable drive.

Problems with paint peeling off from my rear view mirrors and not covered under warranty. I know there were two plastic pieces on the roof that had been changed by the dealer before the car was delivered to me so I asume this is a problem with the paint quality on plastic pieces.