Used 1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

About the same as others, apparently
By Tom

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

After reading most of the other reviews, I guess I'm not any different. Very expensive to fix, and that happens way too often. The Emissions service light is a way too common problem, I've given up trying to find out what it is. Had to replace the ABS module, Volvo warranty wouldn't cover their product, even under warranty. Power steering leaks, or doesn't, whenever it feels like it. The front end makes funny cracking and creaking noises and I can't find any reason for it either. I thought I was buying a quality, safe car (at least the price I paid for it). I've had my first and LAST Volvo.

Comfortable interior, exterior looks good

Way too many to list here.

Nothing but expensive problems
By Mariaelena

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I loved the looks and comfort of this car and felt confident in spending the extra money because it was a Volvo. Much to my expense, I wasn't informed that this model is Volvo's nightmare ( ask any Volvo service person). It had multiple problems with the window mechanisms, a faulty steering rack, an extremely costly throttle problem, an ABS computer sensor defect and the list goes on. Now I've finally had it and am steering clear of all Volvos made by Ford!

Comfortable, smooth ride - excellent handling.

Everything under the hood!

This is a Volvo!!
By grod

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I had always heard of the safety and reliability of a Volvo. After every problem from mechanical to electrical (replaced front end twice). Was told trade in value was $4000. This is from the same dealership that took thousands from me in repair costs. Wrecked the car two weeks ago and received $9,000 from insurance. This car is worth more totaled than running.

I liked the Volvo logo.

To many to list!!!

You should be warned
By Jon

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had thought this was the car of the ages. We were looking forward to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd badge. As we approach the 1st badge(100K) we must again drive 120 miles to our neighborhood Volvo dealer to be told my control module computer is out(3rd one) and it will be $800 for est repairs and no the unit is not warranted. If you read the posts they speak for themselves. A great car to drive but a nightmare to own. Someone should be slapped for letting this thing out to the market place. I should have bought the Maxima at the time. I could have bought a new maxima this year with the money I would have saved over the last 6 years.

The ride is great and the power can be scary with the front wheel torque. Seats on long drives couldn't be better. Sound system cranks---no complaints.

By and far the biggest problem is corporate responsibility. The vehicle issues are consistent with the model and no attempts by Volvo to remedy the situation. Volvo should have recalled the S80 years ago with permanant solutions to make me a repeat customer. Sorry to say I will be going Acura!

Great Car/
By JohninKnox

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I had been looking at an E320. I feel this car has all the features and more compared to the E320 and 5 series BMW. Very Very happy with great, ultra quiet and power for the interstates.

Sound system/turbo power when you need it.

Cup holders, smoother ride.