Used 1999 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

The Car that Couldn't
By My Great S80 LEMON

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Turbo engine smooth and powerful, but many mechanical problems and design issues. Even SRS systems stop working, Volvo took no responsibility and left me with Un-Safe vehicle. Engineer could solve problem. Fuel Tank stop accepting fuel - Volvo could not explain, Fuel line broke within weeks after spending $2200 to fix other problems. Electronic Control Module (control for SRS is located beneath cup holderwhich leaked twice and cost me >$800 each time to fix. Volvo took responsibility for bad design or offered solution. Bottom line is Volvo and its dealers left me with expenses and estimates of more than $15,000 on a car with less than 86,000 miles and a lot less safe than older cars.

Engine was very smooth and efficient when able to drive. Navigation system controls in stearing wheel, integrated phone system, Had a great ride. Great suspension system. All great items with the car functioned properly and could be safely driven.

Stand behind the product made!. Don't leave the customer paying ~$50,000 for a car and leaving them with a lemon! With only options of its out of warranty now! Although clear history tell story. Don't take good customers who pay for service and ask keep asking to fix your beta problems.

Huge Repair Costs
By Brian

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I really enjoyed the car up until the 60k mile mark. The car slowly began to fall apart. I seemed to have had a $2K+ problem every few months. Every time I thought nothing else could go wrong, it did. I really figured the car was practically new from all the dealer repair visits. Lastly, after the transmission went (repairs exceeding $12k in a 3yr period) it was time to call it quits.

Exterior styling and seating comfort.

Reliability.

Run away!
By Sherrill

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I wish the reviews had been available before we bought the car because we sure wouldn't have. It has been a nightmare. We have probably paid half as much on repairs as we paid for the car. We just keep pumping money into it because it is paid for and we don't want another car payment so we feel trapped. The body parts are even falling off (headliner, etc)

My husband likes the comfort of the seats

Does Volvo even care. I agree with Jon's earlier review that Volvo should have recalled this car or have done something to make good on this lemon. We will never buy Volvo again and I tell everyone who I can, not to as well. It could have been a different story if Volvo had corrected the issues.

Keep a 2nd car (Japanese) as a backup
By Abhi

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My S80 was/is a fun car to drive. Hands down it's one of the better vehicles to drive and responds well to tight turns, sudden accelerations, etc. However, it has been very unreliable. I've spent a small fortune trying to keep this car alive and it has only 87k miles on it. Small niggles like oil leaks cost upwards of $500 to fix. The upper engine mount has broken thrice in 4 years. The emmissions error message kept coming on till I replaced the abs module. And now I've a transmission error message which has been diagnosed as an electrical issue in the comntrol module but it cant be repaired and the whole transmission needs to be replaced ($5k).. Ouch ! Save the money and buy a Lexus or Acura

Good body style

Last Volvo I'll Buy
By Tony

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

At first we loved the car. Over time it became apparent that the quality of the vehicle was lacking ranging from cosmetic to mechanical. The body dents easily from anything, small minor accessories stop working or just break, and we always seem to spend thousands a year on maintenance. We also own a 96 850 Turbo and do not experience any of the consistent problems with it. The information center stopped scrolling one item at a time. The dealership said it was not their problem to fix since no recall...1yr after purchase. I won't buy from the dealer even if we decided on another Volvo.

None anymore. It is just a vehicle for transportation.