Used 1999 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Just keeps going
By Volvonate

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car just continues to run, i bought it really cheap with problems on the dash, but the car refuses to quit! i turn it over every time and it just keeps driving. i first made the switch to volvo a few years ago and it was a s70 and they both have been top notch cars!

The inside keeps you entertained. with the buttons and gadgets its never boring and the stereo is just great.

i hate that gray stripping around mine but they already fixed that.

Very happy after 9 years
By nyindallas

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

This car is a good example why one should not get too wrapped up in reviews. After 9 years I can say this car still is a dream to drive. I love taking it on country roads where the handling is amazing. I have also driven a Mercedes E320 on the same road and while the E320 has more power, it does not handle turns as well and does not come close in comfort.

One of the most comfortable sedans I have ever driven. Handles like a dream.

Repair costs can be high. Also it is insane that a single new key costs $225.00

Paint it yellow and call it a lemon
By jzeltvay

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I was so excited when I first purchased my new Volvo. Even though it was a bit pricey, I was looking forward to getting 300,000 miles out of it. My first clue should have been when a position light message came on when I was driving it home from the dealer my first day. I have had multiple problems since that day. Under warranty the rings had to be replaced with <20,000 miles on it. I have spent thousands of $$ to try to figure out why my check engine light stays on. Over $4000 to have it fixed and 50 miles later the light came on again. Now my emissions light keeps coming on. 3 oxygen sensors later, it still comes on. Plan to put it in gear, run it off the mountain and collect the ins.

Ride is very comfortable.

Volvo to stand by its product. Decrease cost of the cheap parts. REcall the whole series. Admit it is a lemon. I will never buy another Volvo.

Head lights
By Concern Volvo lover

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased my vehicle used, and thought I was getting a good deal. I'm a volvo lover from the 70's, and I swear by volvos for their dependability etc. However this year of volvo has many bugs to be worked out. For example my headlights would not go out when I turned my car off. I called the dealer, and it took an expensive of well over $600 dollars to correct the problem. That's not including having to buy a new light switch at a cost of $200.00. I had to replace my gear shift twice because it would break when ever I parked my car on an incline, and tried to shift from park to drive. I will always stick with volvo, but not that year. It seem as though the Volvo creators took a nap.

I liked the pickup and the horsepower that the car has. It also has a very good sound system, and very comfortable seats

Work the bugs out in the electrical system, and solve the problem with the gear shift

What did they do to Volvo???
By Volvofan

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love Volvo's. I have a '97 850, a '92 740, a '90 740, and this 1999 S80. Beautiful car, fun to drive, excellent gas mileage. BUT, VERY unreliable and VERY expensive repairs. Try a $700 rear-view mirror, a shifter that just breaks: $700 part alone ($1,400 repair bill at Dealer), a brake Booster (~$600 part alone)? Front Suspension problems, turbo bearings (twice!), pillar headliner falling off, rubber cracking, car dying when accelerating (recall item), etc. Volvo's are known for safety, but this car.... All that said, if Volvo would have stepped up to the plate and provided some ack via price redux, ANYTHING... I'll stick with Volvo's, only I am purchasing them prior to 1999.

gas mileage performance (quick) styling fun to drive

pretty much everything to do with build quality; Dealers have been helpful, but volvocars has really had their head in the sand, no help at all; parts are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! Can't even trade this car in because the dealer won't give me anything for it (how ironic is that?).