Used 1998 Volvo S70 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Good Car
By Jeff1976

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is a good car. Some people don't like it because they take it to a dealer to get it fixed which is a big mistake. Over the years I have learned to fix things on it and overall it's a pretty mechanic friendly car. One of the easiest oil changes I have ever done since the oil filter is forward of the pan. I am at 155,000 mi and going strong. I'm going to keep this car with me for decades more since it is safe and has a fairly timeless design. Staying ahead of maintenance is the best defense to problems. Get it checked out unless you know what to look for and you won't be suprised with killer repairs. (70k change the timing belt). They are fairly inexpensive used. Buy one!

Great power at 190 HP. I have driven this car across country twice and after 900 miles a day I did not have soreness in my back. Pretty amazing!

Annoying dash squeak on the right front. I have heard it is the tape that separates the plastic that has worn.

Safe and tons of fun!!
By Chris

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 75K on it. I now have 117K and I've done nothing to it. If you're looking for a fun car to drive that you can put your kids in, this is it. It's got loads of pin you in your seat power. The down side is fuel economy (16 city/22-24 hwy). Also a very stiff ride. But I didn't buy it for a "soft" ride. I would and will buy more Volvos.

Power!! Exterior styling, comfort.

Car to Avoid
By Jack

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This Volvo is definitely not one of the better products Volvo has made. My car is always in the shop and has multiple electrical and computer problems (there are 7 computers in it, none of them very reliable). The engine is fairly reliable. Domestic and Japanese cars have better records. I paid about $30,000 for this car and have put in about $25,000 in repairs. So basically, my car has become a $55,000 car over 9 years. I probably should have tried another brand, but with past experience of Volvo's reputation of safety and reliability, I thought this would be good. It was a mistake. Avoid this car if you can. Or buy it cheap since it doesn't really hold value anyway.

The seats are very comfortable. Not too soft like some American car makers and not too hard like the German cars.

It has a stiff and jiggly ride and exhibits mild torque steer. The ride is extremely uncomfortable while the seats are perfect.

Classy
By VK

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

In the 7 years I have owned this car I have spent about $4500 on maintenance and repairs and that includes brakes, new tires, 60 and 90K service. This is approx. $650/year which is phenomenal. The car has about 95K miles now and the car still runs like it is new. I absolutely love this car and will probably keep it for another 7 years. If you maintain this car well it will easily run past 200,000 miles.

Exterior styling, understated interior design.

No not again!!
By Shelley C.

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Everytime I have turned around in the last few years this car has needed something and it is always expensive. The joy of owning the car is constantly diminished by its time either in the shop or with something expensive wrong with it. No wait - everything is expensive from little lights to big lights. Surprisingly low quality leather means that a car that is 8 years old has tacky tearing on its seats. I can't wait to get rid of this thing. There are things I love about it, but usually I just regret the purchase.

Turbo - my God this thing is powerful. Seats - I have actually slept in them comfortably, long story and no I wasn't homeless (really) hee hee.