Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Not Impressed
By Not Impressed

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Give me back my Honda, after driving a Honda for 11 years I wanted something fun to drive. I made the mistake of getting the S70 turbo. I felt it had a better track record then BMW or Saab. Always a light on the dash. Major bucks to repair. Honda is the Sherman tank of cars beat it to death and it just laughs at you. My S70 should be paid off but the repairs have prevented that. Do yourself a favor stay away from this car.

Turbo, it does have guts

They did it, they don't make it anymore.

Recommended
By Richard

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a friend in 2002 at 42000 miles. Some major repairs (ABS computer, wheel hub replacement), but I am pleased with the purchase. Great turbo performance, no lag time. Body integrity very good. No complaints. This is my fourth Volvo, the previous three - except for the 1997 S80 - all have performed well.

Acceleration, handling.

Traction control would help

Surprise... I am faster than you think!!!
By Brian

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I enjoyed my Volvo S70 GLT so much that I purchased another one. This time I bought the T5 and it is the same great car with a few more options and faster. No one can believe I purchased another 98 Volvo until they see my new S70 T5. The seats are the most comfortable of any car I have ever owned and the car got 28.4 MPG on a trip home which I drove 70-75 MPH. Front wheel drive for the winter and the heated seats make a great combination with a moonroof and cool A/C in the summer. The car has a distinctive look unlike many other boring new sedans.

Turbo engine, comfortable heated seats, great looks, sound system, safety features, great MPG and the little clip that holds your parking ticket stubs. People also assume this car is very expensive and wish they could afford a car with wipers on the headlights (shh it is not that expensive!!)

Dash light bulbs could burn out, the ABS light came on (not on my T5).

Best year for Volvo
By Drew

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was lucky enough to find my 98 S70 T5 with the manual transmission and low mileage on ebay. I gave it a full stage zero (full maintenance) and was rewarded with a very quick, reliable, handsome sweedish hotrod. In 98, a stock T5 would outrun a mustang GT and with a few mods, would run with the cobra. I've got a boost controller, exhaust, coilover suspension and new intercooler and this puppy FLIES. Outran an 05 mustang GT at the track. 13.71 1/4 mile. Aside from the usual 100K repairs like tbelt, water pump, iginition and a motor mount, zero problems and avg 25 mpg. Can't beat that. Oh and only use 91~93 octane if you have a GLT or T5. Manual transmission is nearly indestructible.

Well built motor and manual transmission. Porsche designed the 20V engine for them and this one is straight from the 850R with the 16T (for the T5 models). With the right mods, you can get around 270~280 hp to the wheels (around 315 crank hp) before you risk engine (rod) damage.

stronger rods would have made this a true tuner's delight. They're the weakpoint of the engine so if you want to make more than 275~300 wheel hp, be prepared to spend around $500 on new rods.

Volvo "Newbee"
By billkcmo

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Never realized that this car would be so fast! Never had an opinion one way or the other about this brand but any 10 year old car that still gets mistaken for new is ok in my book. Very good on long trips. Like knowing that the reserve power is there when I need it. Feels solid and handles well. Dumb not to have a light in the trunk. Gas mileage is the worst feature. Like everything about this car. I am going to keep it in good condition as I cannot think of another car that I would want to trade for.

Dual climate control, seats , solid feel. Styling. Endless reserve power.

More than one speed on wipers. Trunk light. More ground clearance in front. Better city mileage.