Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

rattle
By NOR

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This is a great reliable car, most of the time it is comfortable and fun to drive! I am a mechanic and I am right up with anything that might go wrong along with preventive maintenance being done on time;(car has 140000 miles. My only issue is that the car has a rattle in the front(I believe right front fender area), that I can not locate; front end is tight, links, ball joints, struts, strut bushings, along with rear end is also tight. Any help from anybody would be great!

safe feeling when I drive it

Have a replaceable automatic transmission filter. I never had any problems with the transmission, because I change the oil about 3 times/year, however there is no filter (serviceable)to change!

Nice, dependable car
By barbara

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Love the car however time is not good to the interior. Leather seats in excellent shape, however the door panels have mis-shapen making it not conform to the doors. The buttons on the doors are sticky, gooey. Also I have replaced all the sensors. One being the ABS which didn't work when I got it(hadn't worked for years). Would not have replaced it if it hadn't been that the speedometer and odometer quit working as well. The check engine light comes on about every other week. Then mysteriously goes off for the remainder of the time. I will not take it to the dealer, too expensive. My husband is knowledgeable and does all my routine maintenance. He rewelded the driver door,it almost fell off.

Has great gettup and go. A joy to drive.

Interior finishes need to be more durable.

GREAT USED LUXURY CAR FOR LOW LOW PRICE
By d.slvstri

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

My 98 GLT turbo has been very good to me so far, i purchased it two weeks ago and drove it day 1 from VA to NY and day 5 from NY back to VA with no problems at all, the driver seat wasnt so comfy towards my center back on the long drive but overall ok, it has the typical warning lights on dash (ABS/TRAC) but i learned to live with them and got used to not having the luxury of working ABS/TRAC features since my previous Ford Focus didnt even have those options. Very good acceleration once turbo kicks in, i dont know what the top speed is on this car despite the 140 speedo but i had no problem getting to 127 mph fairly quickly. Gorgeous blk ext with blk leather int. only paid $1400 usd

LOOKS, FIT AND FINISH, RICH FEEL, TURBO POWER, SMOOTH ENGINE AND TRANNY, LARGE 4 WHEEL DISC BRAKES, GLOSSY BLACK FINISH, VOLVO FACTORY STEREO SYSTEM, HEATED SEATS, GREAT ON GAS, OVERALL CAN MAKE A POOR MAN FEEL RICH!!!!

WARNING LIGHTS, SUSPENSION FEELS ANY IMPERFECTIONS IN ROAD, ABS/TRAC DONT WORK!!!!

Best used car value out there
By Tarheel1

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car to replace a '96 850 GLT. The turbo makes this car much quicker than the otherwise similar 850. Volvo did a nice job updating the appearance inside an out. The 5 cylinder engine is a perfect balance of reliable, smooth and economical. The GLT includes all the expected luxury features: leather, cruise, a/c, stereo, CD, cassette, remote, power win/locks/mirrors/driver seat. Safety, as always, at the top... the 850 probably saved my life and that's why I bought another one. This car is quicker and more sporty. I briefly contemplated a 1999 Saab 9-3 because of it's more sporty nature but I'm not dissapointed with the S70.

Turbo Charger - feels very powerful, luxury features, build quality and rock-solid safety.

My only complaint is that this car feels heavy. In comparison to BMW 3 & 5's as well as Honda Accords, it just feels heavy around corners. I think it's just that the steering requires a little more effort and the car exhibits a little more body roll. It still handles great.

Most comfortable car!
By cali mom

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I have over 200K miles on my Volvo S70. Original engine and tranny. Recently had to replace ball joint and struts. No biggie since that is all have had to put in it in the last year. I put synthetic oil in mine. I noticed that I get a random black film on the inside of my sunroof. -Not sure why. Door panel pleather came away from the door and needs to be re- glued. It did this on all 4 doors. My mirror control buttons are melty and sticky! Yuck! My black leather has held up well in the CA sun. I condition it regularly and put up sun shades. Most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I have driven it to Seattle and back to Sacramento 6 times in less than a year. Great car for weekend get aways

Seats, classic body, looks new, seat warmers!

Mirror control buttons, ABS (mine has gone out)Trunk light can easily be turned off when removing stuff.