Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Too many problems
By imfrommars

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1998 Maintained every 5000 miles (about 3 months) oil change at dealership. I was happy up to 60,000 miles (still brakes were a known Volvo problem with soft pads). But after went thru 3 batteries, heating problem, ABS module replaced, front end replaced, tires 15 inches going very quick, twice rotors both front and back, and never mind miriad of electrical problems (bulbs, etc). Service at dealership is extremly expensive. This is my last VOLVO. Two of my students are using it right now still the safest car around, but daddy will be paying all the future repair bills which I'm not looking forward. Bought myself a 2005 Toyota Camry XLE V-6 and extended warranty just in case.

seats

Quality, quality and one more time quality

Great, solid, safe choice
By david Atkins

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought it used with about 8000 miles on it got it checked out to make sure it hadn't been in any accidents they said it was clean but then the radiator started to sag! The guy who fixed it said that the car had hit something hard before we got it. It is a solid, safe, responsive car. I would recommend a Volvo to anyone! It does not at all seem like an 8 year old car at all! We only have had normal wear problems with this car and a few small electrical problems

Excellent standard sound system Great in the snow Responsive engine and breaks

Noticed a few rattles in dash, but they seem to have gone away Lights seem to burn out a lot

My first volvo
By jamesg1970

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I made my purchase on the 98 S70 t-5 in nov 2001. I am pleased with the overall reliability, but now at 60k miles I am noting some glitches. The Glitches at 60k: a slow oil leak, one electronic window button has stopped working, the leather on the doors is breaking down, the leather has become easier to scratch (even if conditioned every 60 days), the headlamps and front plastic signal covers crack easy, the brake calipers have never performed to my liking, and the Alternator was replaced at 50k.

What I like: a fast turbo when I need it, comfortable seats, huge trunk, nice handling, great unique body style (is it a sports car or a sedan?)

Better quality leather, upgraded brakes, upgraded paint, upgraded electronics.

Would I buy another Volvo?
By bkt

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I wanted a sturdy car and one that would last. I have had good luck with this car and as long as I've performed the maintenance I haven't had any problems. Maintenance can be expensive at the dealership. I have a certified mechanic that only works on Vovlvo. I have no doubt I will drive this car for 3 more years and then pass it on to my 16 year old son. I wold buy another Vovlo in a minute if I wanted to shell out that kind of money.

The heavy dutiness of the car. When I ride or drive other cars they are seem lightweight.

The one downfall of the car is the leather. I don't feel it's the best leather and the leather in the doors has popped out

Junk on wheels
By redoctober

1998 Volvo S70 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

There are not enough curse words in the world to describe how I feel about this car. Extremely unreliable and expensive to fix. Sensors broke at least 10 times. Lights burn out montly. Engine leaks. Brakes wear out twice a year. Door locks broke 3 times. Windshield fluid pump exploded. Extreme lifter noise. Battery dies twice a year. Cannot pass emissions. Repairs cost a small fortune. Even an oil change is a big deal. Windows stopped working 3 months ago, but I no longer have the money to fix it. Electric mirrors and sunroof don't work either. All this started happening right after the warrantee ran out. STAY AWAY ! ! !

Safety, design, comfort, headroom. Nice stereo.

This model should be discontinued.