Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

GREAT everyday driver
By Tara

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for a little over one year now, and it is fantastic. I drive it everyday, in every weather condition. Handles great, love the actice chassis controls. Gas mileage is wonderful, as long as you're not constantly in boost. Looks great with the factory body kit..nice and sporty. Highly recommend this car!

Exterior appearance, 6 speed stick shift, HUGE trunk

Turning radius (obviously), 18" rims are easily damaged driving every day, tight back seat leg room, premium gas isn't cheap!!! Factory winglets on front look great, but are certainly NOT practical.

Glorified Yugo
By Doug

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I can agree with the safety and reliability written about this car. The comfort is just marginal. What destroys this car is the turning radius! The car is slow and the gas mileage is average. The interior is sooo small. I have a child seat in the back and it takes over the backseat! Being 6'2" is a real problem with the interior size. Overall, I would never get another Volvo!

Look of car.

Fix the turning radius. Make interior more roomy and comfortable.

Ultimate Volvo Turn On
By Hilltop Volvo Fan

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Volvo epitomizes "safety" to me and most important feature in a car for me was simply a comfortable, safe, and affordable ride until I bought a used 2004 S60R that has completely rocked my world! What a beast! I love the way the car handles, drives, and looks. AWD and lightning fast acceleration and solid braking... man, I am in love!

Seats, chassis controls, and performance.

Terrible turning radius, improve rims to avoid scuffing, better side view mirror views.

Volvo for life is true
By SMPM

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S60 was a fleet vehicle w/low miles. I averaged 36 mpg hwy driving the car back home cross-country. The car is safe, solid - it's not nimble like my old A4 or current Jetta, but solid. If I hit anything with this car, I will either push it out of the way or run over it - that's the feeling this car's drive quality has - heavy, solid, secure. Ergonomics on this car are superb. The seating is heaven and safety-blessed with the WHPS system. I have the 2.4L engine, and while I don't drag race, I know I have reasonable passing power. I drive this car like a hybrid - slow off the start, no wasted fuel, moderate braking on stops, and I average around 26/27mpg in urban driving.

Interior seating and ergonomics. Multiple safety features and built-in redundancy. My rear tail light failed, but there is a secondary bulb in the taillight that continues to illuminate until you get a replacement. This illustrates Volvo's philosophy of safety. Love the aerodynamics of this car.

Larger stock wheels. I'm going to upgrade to 17" wheels eventually (with sacrifice of gas mileage). I miss the automatic door locking feature from my Jetta - what a gripe, right? I must remember to lock this car manually when inside.

Piece of junk
By DZwink

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought our Volvo when we decided to start a family due to the safety reputation. My sister had owned three, one of which saved her life in a wreck, and had also managed to put 300,000 miles on one without incident. Ours is now about to go in the shop for the third time in two months. It has had three parts in the fuel system fail so far with Volvo comping me on one due to my less than pleased opinion of the car so far. I've never had this many problems with a car before. I won't be buying another one. Makes me wish I had bought the Infiniti or Volkswagen I was looking at instead of this.

Good handling and performance for the price.

Quality and reliability of the engine components are in serious question. This makes the good features irrelevant.