Used 2004 Volvo S60 R Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volvo S60 R

R 2.5L 5-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (119 reviews )

Best Sleeper Ever
By Joshua

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my car. Without effort it hurls itself past other traffic. It stops quickly (very) and straight. It will plow snow out of your way (not deep snow mind you, but it was still impressive to trundle through a 1/4 mile of 6-8" deep snow without issue). It (literally) drove where a well driven Dodge Ram 4x4 with weight in the back could not. If you know where your car is, you won't hit those bits of concrete when you park.. No matter what you do the turning radius stinks, and if someone gives the rims a funny look it'll leave a mark. It is a beautiful car in person. Drive one and I suspect you'll get one.

Driving. The sound of the motor. The auto "up AND down" window. The blue metal gauges (and ambient lighting thereof). Driving faster. Driving on twisties.

Three guesses Volvo. Should your sports sedan turn most like: a) A bus... one that has a flat. b) A firetruck... one of those "long ladder" kinds. c) A lotus.

Performance with a Smile
By Terzo

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a reliable, fun and safe car that wasn't a gas hog and could be driven year round. The Volvo S60R was definitely it. I looked at the Audi S4, the Acura TL and many others. None could compare to the R. It has 3 different suspension settings that actually make a huge difference in handling. It has plenty of power and a huge torgue band. I am getting about 23 miles to the gallon with some highway driving. However if you are on it (throttle) and I mean on it (like racing from 40mph to 120mph with turns and a lot of brakingyou will on get about 12. The brakes are unreal. The interior quality is execptional. The features just keep on giving. Awesome car & mileage too.

The best features are the brakes, engine and suspension settings. No other car that I know offers all three. The car handles like it is on rails. Some other favs are the AWD and the button to lower the rear head rest for a better rear view. Oh yeah it averages about 23MPG too.

Turning radius is the only downfall, however if that is the only negative then I'll take it all day.

A fun Volvo?
By aeroengrpv

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I sold my BMW 328ci looking for a European car that was faster than my Bimmer and found most to be too expensive. Then I found the R. It serves the purpose perfectly. The six-speed manual is a must have. 300 horses, a six-speed, and a suspension that you can dial in with legendary Volvo safety? What more could you ask.

Six-speed, handling, seat warmers, supremely comfortable seats, optional sound system.

Turning radius is worse than my full-size truck! Is that some kind of a joke? Not a big deal compared to all the positives about this car.

GREAT everyday driver
By Tara

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for a little over one year now, and it is fantastic. I drive it everyday, in every weather condition. Handles great, love the actice chassis controls. Gas mileage is wonderful, as long as you're not constantly in boost. Looks great with the factory body kit..nice and sporty. Highly recommend this car!

Exterior appearance, 6 speed stick shift, HUGE trunk

Turning radius (obviously), 18" rims are easily damaged driving every day, tight back seat leg room, premium gas isn't cheap!!! Factory winglets on front look great, but are certainly NOT practical.

Ultimate Volvo Turn On
By Hilltop Volvo Fan

2004 Volvo S60 R R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Volvo epitomizes "safety" to me and most important feature in a car for me was simply a comfortable, safe, and affordable ride until I bought a used 2004 S60R that has completely rocked my world! What a beast! I love the way the car handles, drives, and looks. AWD and lightning fast acceleration and solid braking... man, I am in love!

Seats, chassis controls, and performance.

Terrible turning radius, improve rims to avoid scuffing, better side view mirror views.