Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Better than BMW or Mercedes
By dwightex

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Really great car. I had a 2004, drove about 78000 miles over the 4 year lease. No problems (other than I scrapped the front fascia against a parking lot curb)
Also, don't drive this car in heavy snow. even with snow tires, computer couldn't deal with 6" of new snow.

Handling and acceleration is very satisfying. Seat is comfortable. Nav is okay. Sport and Comfort settings are great, stereo is great. Little back seat room but we never used the back seat

Long Term Evaluation
By swedewheels

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned the S60 2.5T for ten years, 175,000+ miles, until the sad day I totaled it.
What I've learned from my Volvo experience - ultra reliable, smooth running, and well built. Some driver sight line issues. Repairs: after 75k much front end work on tie rods, bearings, & struts and was still a little rattely. Replaced many tail lights (always kept spares in trunk).
No drive train issues except some trans shift flaring from day 1.
Interior plastic parts (console lid and steering wheel adjustment handle) broke about 100k.
Gas port lid hinge (cheap plastic) broke off at 35k and lost lid on freeway. No rear seat space.
Overall an 8.5 out of 10

Comfortable seats. Great looking car, even after 10 years. HU-805 sound system sounds great! However, dash volume knob stopped responding and was prone to bouts of mysterious channel changing. Lucky steering wheel volume continued to work.

Simplify front end and make it more robust. Improve leg room in back. Better interior parts (improved in later models). Trans flare fix. Improve turning radius - surprisingly large for vehicle of its size I would still get another to replace my totaled S60 but not sure I am "Volvo for life".

217,000 and going strong
By birddogphil

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have driven this car for business for the last 8 years.This is my second Volvo in recent years and I consider this S60 to be as close to the perfect car for me as I will ever get.With the 2.4 engine,I think the performance is good but obviously not stellar.Reliability,comfort,style,MPG are however all
stellar.Keep a few extra bulbs on hand,change the oil and do regular maintenance and do what I am planning to do-keep driving this car for 300,000 miles and then decide if I should look for a new ride.

The leather still smells new after 10 years.Don't ask me how this could be possible

Center console is too small and a little weak.

Beloved Car, great investment.
By ccolli17

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The 2004 Volvo S60 was my first Volvo, and will not be my last.
It is my strong belief that the car has saved my life twice, and has also had minimal problems, especially for someone as hard on cars as I am.
I bought the car in 2008 with only 28,000k on it, and put 89,000k on it in a 3-year time frame (117,000 k by 2012).
The car withstood 2 minor accidents and 2 major accidents.
During the time I owned the car, I replaced a fuel sensor that was a factory recall, one battery, one break job, tires when necessary, and all other replacements were due to car accidents- pretty amazing for 89,000k miles of use.

At about 65 MPH I hydroplaned due to a truck driver cutting me off on the interstate while loosing control of his trailer (I-16 in rural GA). The accident caused me to spin out of control over four lanes of traffic, meeting traffic on the opposite side of the interstate, and fortunately I was not hit. The car received no major damage, the muffler had to be resituated, and I walked away with out a scratch A month ago my S60 was totaled, but saved my life, and the lives of two small children (ages 3 and 6) who were in the backseat of my car. While stopped at a red light, a Ford F250 pickup with a frontal brush-guard rammed into the back of my car at about 55mph, totaling the car.

Problems I experiences with the car were minor or cosmetic. The cup-holder was broken when I bought the car, and every other S60 near this year range that I test-drove appeared to have the same problem. I also had a problem with bulbs burning out quickly, but later found out it was my own fault for purchasing cheap bulbs from places like advanced auto parts, and replacing them my self. Only have the dealership replace lights if you purchase this vehicle. If not, cheap inexpensive lights will burn out your wiring because they are far too powerful for the sensitive sensors. Check engine light comes on if gas cap is not tightened to full extent. common problem, simple solution.

Volvo S60 2.5T 2004dc
By DCottrill

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car as it was being "pulled" off the truck. It has been an excellent vehicle these past 7 years with no maintenance issues. I have followed the mfg guidelines for service, every 7,500 miles, and it continues to run like a top as they say. A most recent 1,800 mile round trip to S.C. from Ohio averaged 32.3 mpg including some city driving. The only drawback would be the leg room in the rear seating area, but trunk space is huge for this size of vehicle. I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 130,000 miles. I hope the new owners of Volvo don't change a thing on quality!