Used 2002 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

a good allround car
By mark

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the 2002 s60 base model in 2003. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. VERY SAFE! I worked for years in a trauma room and wanted a safe car and this is it. VERY comfortable too. Most comfy seats of ANY car! performance is fine for a comfort sedan, but its not a BMW, ppl! If u want a BMW sports car, but it. This is a comfort/safety car. VERY reliable. 6 years and NO problems! Upgraded foglights and headlights (replaced crappy ones with xenon). Luxurious, thick leather! Smooth, comfy ride. Feel safe, which u should in a volvo. Expensive maintenance, but well worth it. I am VERY happy with this. DO NOT buy the Turbo, u lose LOTS reselling it cuz they know u hotrodded it

the SEATS! and leather, HUGE trunk, very smartly designed dash buttons.

volvo should have used xenon lights from the start, not these standard crappy ones. Needs a bit more HP. Glad they upped it in new models. But thats all. Great car!

Great Car For The Money!
By dingo686

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have put 30k miles on mine and these are my impressions so far at 80K miles. I used to be a Honda guy but when I couldn't find a used one at a descent price I drove this car and boy am I glad I did. These cars have all the reliability of the Japanese cars but better fit and finish and quality. Just open and shut the doors of this car and you'll know what I'm talking about. Only problem I've had with this car is the fuel pump cracked but it is a recall item so I took it to the dealer and they replaced it no charge. I have replaced one daytime running lamp and the oil and that's it. To me you get the looks, feel, most of the peppiness and quality of a BMW 3 series but at half the price.

Roomy interior: I am 6'5 and the front seats give the most leg room of any 4 door I've sat in. Plus high headrests assure no severe whiplash if you get rear ended. Peppy Engine: you won't win any drag races but it will get up and go and have power to pass with ease at highway speeds. Fun To Drive

Visibility because of the high headrests. Large turning radius. No leg room for rear passengers. Space between the Accelerator pedal and the Brake pedal needs to be bigger. If you wear wide-soled shoes you can catch both at the same time.

Throttle problem
By Adriano

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Got a problem at 94 k with throttle not working, needed ETM software upgrade and new accelerator pedal. I called Volvo and they said that this can happen with high mileage. Did not think that 94k is that high for a Volvo.

Volvo should be more proactive on fixing issues like this.

Awful in Snow
By BarbB

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I like the look and the comfort of the Volvo - love the leather heated seats - but it handles terribly in snow. I am petrified to drive it in winter - have slid through intersections, need to crawl on the highway, etc. I bought the AWD thinking it would be good in poor road conditions but quite the opposite is true. I needed a car quickly to replace my beloved Nissan Sentra that was totaled in a hail storm. I jumped on the used Volvo based mostly on a friend's recommendation. Now I can't wait to get rid of it. Also, the AM radio never worked properly. And repairs cost an arm and a leg. Never again, Volvo.

leather interior, heated seats, not much else.

The climate control is confusing. Air conditioning turns on to defrost the windshield - in the deep of winter. The cup holders need redesign.

Beauty lasts so long
By omid

2002 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car rides comfortably. The seat grabs your body and makes for great long trips. The exterior is well designed. The trunk is full of space and I've moved several times with the car. Rear passengers are really comfortable. The two plugs are great. Other than that the car is a pain. Things that shouldn't ever go bad, go bad on the model. I've changed the brake booster and front suspension and O2 sensor. It would have been nice if the O2 sensor had lasted a bit long. The repairs are really pricey too. The stock stereo is plagued, either the speakers blow easily or the stereo gets tired of your music. My heart wants a new Volvo but my mind knows a reliable cheaper to fix car might be better.

Seats, ride, hauling space, design, safety, tape deck.

Volvo should make a car and stand by it for at least 100,000 miles like their reputation of well built cars demands. Brake booster, stereo, suspension, sensors. The first three should last the life of the car. It's hard to sell future cars if your current cars don't sell themselves.