Used 2008 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

2008 S40 easy choice after accident
By Jeff

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Last year a huge chunk of steel fell off a truck and bounced into my lane while I was traveling about 60mph on an interstate. My 2006 S40 was totaled but I only had a sore back for a couple of weeks. Having been an auto appraiser for 6 years I consider myself an expert on assessing damage. I am sure I would have had a major injury in most other cars of any size. I was so impressed with the way the car took the accident that my first choice was a 2008 S40. I have had my 2008 about a year now and love it!

Comfortable seats and sporty looks. The controls are well designed and not overly complex to use.

Add an inch of length to the front seats.

Great Euro Design
By Chris from NJ

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the S40 just as I was finishing college...it's a great car and I am very happy with it. I went from a Toyota 4Runner(which I LOVE...if I could have both I would) and do not feel like I have lost much space. It looks and drives great and accelerates beautifully. Being 6'1" I need to put my chair relatively far back, limiting the space behind my chair. Therefore, if someone is sitting behind me, there is very little space. That's my only issue.

The console...I love the space behind it. And the very comfortable seats.

I think it would be great if the back windows went all the way down and a little extra leg room in the back seat would be fantastic.

Sturdy, reliable
By CDY

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Mileage is ok. Sporty ride. Not much space for the rear passengers. Small and sturdy. Noisy at low speeds. Got a dark grey car and black interior. great design even for cloth seats. Intuitive dials and controls. Nice programmable features like Autolock, rain sensing wipers, tail fog light, tow jack, homelink etc.

Beautiful interior and very VOLVO-sh exterior. Nice Programmable features. CD player plays Mp3s. Ipod integratable, nice nook for it too.

Blue Tooth. Full size spare. Information console and operation could be more intuitive. Grocery holds and hooks in the trunk.

Jeep to Volvo... what Jeep?
By Chris G

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Haven't loved a car this much in many moons. Had a 2008 4 door Jeep Wrangler Sahara loaded. Fun in summer. Fun in winter. An uncomfortable disaster the rest of the year. Then... the Volvo S40. WOW. Fun ALL THE TIME! and looks and performs beautifully. What a deal too. Was an untitled demo. Sticker $27K. Bought it at $23K and they paid off my Jeep. Why didn't I choose Volvo sooner??? Safe. Stylish. Fast.

The seats are amazing. Sound system rocks. Love the elegant simplicity of the cockpit.

Sunroof noise too much to talk on phone.

Love this CAR!!!
By cwilsong

2008 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Just finished one year with my S40 awd and I can say for the first time in a LONG time I really LOVE my car and feal I got a great deal as well. Loads of power, fun to drive and very quiet. Probably even has a better sound system than I have at home. Best part though was that we did an OSD and picked up the car direct from the factory. Not only got exactly the car I wanted at a better price than here but got to spend 3 weeks driving it around Europe. If you are thinking about any Volvo you owe it to your self to look into OSD. Not all dealers push it as they get a fixed fee for handeling the sale but there are several Internet dealers out ther that can help you.

Fit, Finish, Sound system, LOADS of power. VERY QUITE. And just plain looks cool

Little more MPG. And change how you go about replacing the cabin air filter, You have to remove the gas pedal. Takes over an hour to do it your self or $100.00 at the dealer.