Used 2006 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Volvo S40 Fits the Times
By Patch

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I am 6 foot 2 and was looking for a fun car with a stick and I am so glad my wife found the S40. A former motorcyclist with many miles in Europe under my belt, I was conditioned against a Volvo. The bigger sedans were always driven by drivers who really need the protection of the cage if you get my drift. I was pleasantly surprised by the roominess of the interior on test drive: all three kids fit snugly in the back, the truck was ample, and the handling nimble. Compared to my bikes and other cars, my previous car in the US was a 1991 SAAB Turbo SPG, the little blue car felt spunky but a tad underpowered - sadly the Turbo doesnt come in a stick. 42k later - still a great car at 28mpg!

Room, ride, comfort, fuel economy

Fix those buttons that hold the mats in place, they always come out. Make it reasonable to put an iPod aux in the sound system.

Great sporty exterior styling--w/noises
By shannoningr

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall, I loved this vehicle. It was a bit of an adjustment going from a van to this small sedan. My chief complaints were all the noises, especially during warmer months. The clutch creeked so loud it sounded like a barn door (even after the dealer fixed it multiple times). Then the air compressor was noisy (almost "breathing") even when it was not in use and then the windows didn't seal up quite right resulting in air gaps and noises. Occassionally, my CD's would get stuck for a few days. I would still recommend this vehicle despite it's little quirks.

The exterior styling is superior to others and stands out.

Stop the noise!

Driving in the snow
By dana

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first Volvo. I have previously owned SUVs and also similar sized cars, like the Accord and a Camry. This car handles great on drive pavement. I love the zippiness and great gas mileage. Overall, it is a wonderful car. However, it does not handle well in snow or rain. In fact it is just a step better than a RWD car. This is my second winter with this car and I am so dissappointed.

The quickness is great in traffic.

The front wheel drive does not compare to other automobiles in its class.

Another Success From Volvo
By VolvoNut

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an outstanding car. Having owned four Volvos prior to this one (144, 164, 245, P1800), I have to say that the S40 (T5, AWD, 6-speed) is my favorite. The drivetrain components are solid: strong acceleration, consistent stopping power, and smooth shifting make for an enjoyable driving experience. Unlike the older turbos, this one is not subject to the same kind of shock-cooling that damaged earlier models back in the 80s. The clutch takes some getting used to. It is very light, but it grabs rather quickly. Having endured intense snow in Denver this year, the AWD came in rather handy. With DTSC, it handled beautifully.

Transmission, seating support, "floating" console, turbo.

More interior space, more space between the brake and the accelerator. I've needed three or four "software updates." This car is like a computer on four wheels. Just be sure that you take care of software revisions before the car goes out of warranty. Mucho $$$ if you wait too long.

Noise Problem
By jn

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The car has 7,000 miles on it and has developed a noise in the drive train. Volvo has replaced the tranny, the clutch, the shocks, the motor mounts and the axles. They now say that the sound is normal!

Comfort and ergonomics